Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: North Umpqua River

Kevin,

Good luck up there and i think you will enjoy your visit to steamboat creek and visiting with Lee. The fishing conditions were tough but if you spend the time and cover a lot of water you shoould be able to raise a few. Let us know how you do.

Adam,

Took plenty of pictures, unfortunately no picture of fish. Aaron managed one pic of me fishgting the fish and then the camera batteries went out. I had my 20d in my backpack but did not want to take the time to get it out with the fish in hand as the water was in the low 60's and that would have been too dangerous for the fish.

As for flies, all our take/boils were on skaters. Fished a variety of patterns such as the ska-opper, grantham sedge aka steelhead whacker, and muddlers to name a few.
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop
    Steelhead on the Spey Guide Service
    www.steelheadonthespey.com

Hi Jason - what stick and line set up were you using?

Best regards,
    Rick

Rick,

I fished my Scott ARC 1287-3 with a cnd 6/7 line. This is my favorite setup for dry line summer steelheading.

I think a switch rod or even a single hander would be great up there in many runs because of all the roll casting you have to do in some spots. I might just have to check out the sage 8110-4 to take up there in the future. It is just nice to be to spey or single hand on a river like the North Umpqua.
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop

I love that Scott 128-7 ARC! Rick used to or still does own that same rod if I remember correctly. A great rod for summer steelhead! I enjoyed it on the Klamath when I fished it with Rick a few years back. Although in some spots I would have like a little bit more length for some longer casts and control.

Jason, you guys went hard core swinging, very cool, with dries no less - very hard core. That's too bad about the picture of the fish but please post some of the area that you were fishing.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

I'll post some pics tonight when i get a chance.
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop

Jason

Looking forward to the pics. Theres nowhere quite like it!

Jay

Okay, i am having some trouble uploading some pics. I have a new apple macbook pro with aperture and cannont seem to get the photos off there and onto photobucket to put on here. It might be a couple of days as i will be travelling back east this weekend.

Jay,

Fished the rogue at tou velle (sp?) on the way home for an hour. Nice little stretch of water there. No tugs but was fun to fish and see the rogue to help break up the drive. I know a few of you guys are starting to pick up some fish so hopefully it will be a good year up there.
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop

I'm dying to see some pix!
    Less talk, more rock.

Sunset at Rip Rap pool

Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop