View Poll Results: How do you like your reels configured?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm right-handed and my reels are set up for right-handed retrieve.

12 35.29%
  • I'm right-handed and my reels are set up for left-handed retrieve.

21 61.76%
  • I'm left-handed and my reels are set up for left-handed retrieve.

0 0%
  • I'm left-handed and my reels are set up for right-handed retrieve.

1 2.94%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Poll: Right versus Left-Handed Retrieve

Default gotta weigh in

just gotta weigh in here. never understood all the switching that goes on when you reel with your casting hand. just makes sense that if you're going to throw right then you should reel left.

makes me think of a guy who wears his glove on his left hand and throws right, only to switch the glove to his throwing hand because he catches better with his right. sounds like an invitation to a line drive in the noggin. never felt comforatable when i dabbled in bait casting reels. have since purchased only left hand retrieves on those as well. all that switching takes time and all kinds of stuff can happen (mostly bad) when you're going through those gyrations - think line coil around the handle when its on the side away from you. can you say "pop - good bye".

i have, however, heard from some flats guys that a whole day of casting and fighting fish with your casting arm can be really tiring. in this case i think the idea is splitting up the burden of casting and fighting between arms. makes sense in that context, but never been to that rodeo.

cheers.

bp
    Wishin' I was a Fishin'

Default Which Hand to Reel With....????

Oh my, Oh my..... What's the debate about

This stuff is all personal preference. What would you guys who're so locked into one way or the other do if you were forced to use a two handed retrieve in the salt
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Hi Darian! No debate here and no one's trying to change anyone's preference. Just a discussion of what everyone prefers and perhaps why.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairstacker
    In Lefty's book "Presenting the Fly," he makes the point that the majority of folks can reel much faster with their dominant hand, which would be with the right hand for right-handed folks, etc. I seem to recall him saying this is true no matter how long they've been doing it the other way.
    I am right handed and have my reels set up for left-hand retrieve, and have experimented with right hand retrieve reels, but i still can reel MUCH faster with my left hand than my right. Maybe its just me, who knows.

Loren, maybe you're really . . . left handed. Just kidding!
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Mike, Maybe thats why I throw so many tailing loops with my right hand!