Thread: Casting buckets in boats are a good thing.

Default Casting buckets in boats are a good thing.

Those big buckets on the front and rear of larger outboard skiffs are really nice. Most use them for "blind casting" for Stripers.

Jim Christensen uses a certain size plastic garbage can he buys at Home Depot for $30. He says it is just the right size/height for him. He put about 6 inches of water in the bottom to keep it from falling over.

You strip your running line into the bucket and the water keeps it wet and shooting good all day.

You can pick them up and move them all over the place.

When you are done casting and thinking of moving or taking a break you just leave all the line out and in the bucket and stick your rod butt first down in there too.

I used them on Dan Blanton's boat and really liked them.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I use a pop up laundry mesh laundry basket I found at Target for $13. It's perfect size about 2 ft. high and has a large diameter so you can strip your line into them really easy. One thing, when it's windy you have to throw something in the bottom or it will blow over the side and they sink faster than I thought they would.

I have to admit, those contraptions might work well, but they look ridiculous.

Do you guys ever have problems with them getting in the way of the trolling motor foot pedal? What do you do with them when you are running to the next spot?
    fish on, biaatch!!

When Ron Otto got his driftboat a few years ago ...... I used an old Cat Litterbox (scrubbed the hell out of it , of course ...) . About 4 inches high .

It worked OK .

A 5 gallon glue bucket is what I use in the Jonboat these days .

David

I've been using a Rubbermaid garbage can but just made a chage to..

Another kitchen sized garbage can with 4 funnels epoxy'd to the bottom. If I can find any Striper I'll include a pic.

It actullay helps keep the line away from the trolling motor pedal and you can set the rod into the bucket and the water helps keep everything standing while you run from one spot to the next.

Katz
    "The only time we're guaranteed, is the time we've already had. So make the most of every day!"

The Rubbermade basket does work great. I would add a couple thoughts. For us "short leggers," the height needs to be adjusted...like cut down. I have scraped knuckles to prove the need. After you cut it down you can go to a boat supply store and get some trim to add around the edges. Adding water to the bottom can really help on hot days when the line dries out and you burn the heck out of your fingers when you first begin your strips.
    T.