Thread: Better than a sharp stick in the eye...

Default Better than a sharp stick in the eye...

I went out for an hour this afternoon. Couldnt resist the sunshine and balmy, 40ish degree weather. The river is in great shape. It is said there are fish on their way up the rogue but the cold has kept them from moving very far. I tried my luck today at a spot I like. I was test driving a Beulah switch rod. I was very impressed with the rod and I ran into this native downer. Nothing like the big chromers you guys have been finding down there, but its better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick

Jay

hey jbird,

yes, a downer is better than a sharp stick in the eye, and that fish is still in great shape for a summer run downer....

Say, I see that Beulah switch is the 8/9. Could you give us a quick review of that rod? What line were you throwing on it? I want to get one, but I am not sure wether the 7/8 or the 8/9 would best suit my needs. I am seeking to upgrade my 10'#8 to cover varied coastal winter steelhead situations. Thanks! Matt.

Jay
    When I talked to you earlier today and you were talking about the warm sunshine it did sound as if you were being drawn to the river . Kinda like a Zombie following his masters call . Good job on the fish .

Mark

Matt

Today was the first time I have done anything of consiquence with a rod other than a light, singlehand rod. So my first impression of the rod was, it was very heavy. It is labeled as a switchrod to allow you to singlehand or doublehand cast. At this point with my VERY limited experience I was singlehand casting it (rollcasting and singlehand spey casting) until my arm started to tire and then I would rest it by double handing...which I am really bad at. I got a good rhythm a few times with 2 hands and really put it out there. But the amazing thing was the launch from a singlehand spey or singlehand roll cast. When I hit it right I could effortlessly rollcast 50-60+ feet. I think with somemore practice I could get comfortable with the weight and two hands when I need to. It could require building the strength in my right arm to endure a day of casting.
    James set it up with a 12wt Riverextra line, which seemed very suitable for the rod. The Riverextra is Beulahs equivilent of Rios steelhead line. Its a very good line.
    Also, realize that I was fishing with huge weighted bugs, split shot and a long leader. I did cut those off and just threw the line a few times and it was wonderful.
    I will have this rod for a while and I'll report in as I get a better feel for it.

jay

Sounds like you are entering the "Dark Side" Jay. If that is a downer it is in great shape. The ones I see here on the "A" are looking like rotting Salmon by the time they start heading back to sea.

Nice job, and keep those cards and letters coming, errrr I mean reports!
    Ya don't know, if ya don't go!

mike

I always say downer this time of year if its not obviously a winter. The fact is, I dont think the spawn has occured yet. Those summer fish hang around into february before they tango and head back down. I should rename the above fish as a 'tired ole summer'

Jay

Very fine looking fish there, Jay. It's a chunkster! I'd be happy with it.

I fished yesterday, most of the late morning and afternoon, dead drifting an egg for one big fish that didn't quite make it to hand because it bent out the hook (well, I guess I actually bent out the hook by applying too much pressure), so it came within feet of me, but no cigar.

No luck swinging a fly lately since last weeks cold front. Water's down to 46 degrees, but they are hitting eggs from the bait fishermen and egg patterns from flyfishers.

Ron
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.