Thread: Dragon nymph

Default Dragon nymph

I dont know why I always seem to tie flies for the opposite season we're in.
    I was thumbing through "Fly Patterns for Stillwaters" by Phil Rowley. If you like stillwater trout fishing adn dont have this book....you should!

I was reading about a dragon nymph called the 'Draggin" The unique feature of this fly is its tied with an underbody of foam, so it is boyant. It is designed to be fished on a sinking line so that this fly is always just elevated off the bottom/vegitation. I did not follow the directed recipe in the book but I did use the concept to create this fly. I thought it turned out rather buggy looking and I'm pretty excited to try it at Klamath lake in uhh, 5 months

Default Dragon Flies....

Wow!!! That's one buggy lookin' fly. Should do very well in Klamath or other Lakes.... I'm assuming that the foam was an open celled variety since closed cell foam may float to well.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian

I tied a couple with a turkey wing case and a couple with a foam wingcase (pictured above) The ones with the turkey are neutrally bouyant. the ones with the foam wing float pretty well. It'll be fun to play around with both with different lines. I bet the floating version would be killer for bass and panfish on a floating line.

Jay

That's a swell looking bug there jbird. Nice job. I think you'll really enjoy using the sinking line and floating/suspending fly presentation. It's very effective. It's a ton-o-fun!
    Cheers, Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!