Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gear for stripers?

Default Hairstacker,.....

I didn't see your response to lee s. before I made my post. What you suggest isn't a bad idea. I'd guess that the average fly fisher has no idea how hard they can pull on a fish.. another way to see rod "behavior" would be to string it up, then tie a 1 lb. weight on the end of the line and try to lift it with the rod.....
    (Just don't take the butt section up past 45°..I don't want to be responsible for any broken tips) )

Mike

When you've snagged as many trees and what-not as I have, you start to develop a fair sense of the actual strengths of certain tippets. I have absolutely no doubt I could be towed in my inflatable kayak on 20 lb test.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Jeff T,

My recommendation...

Striper fishing in the delta is not heavily technical, or should I say, specialized. All kinds of techniques/lures/bait/flies/lines/rods/reels will work on any given day.

Bottom line is: for the most part, use a sinking line, and since you only have one line and two rods (not wanting to buy any more equipment), use whatever rod casts the line/fly best. Use 15lb Maxima or stronger tippet (some tapper their tippets, I don't), then put a fair amount of pressure on the fish when hooked trusting that the fish will pull you overboard before you break the line! And, BTW, I rarely have to put a fish on the reel, unless it's a biggun! I use a 3-4ft section of 15lb Maxima and have never busted a fish off (my friends and I have hooked and landed fish over 30lbs this way). In fact, as Mike mentioned, when you get stuck on submurged wood, you'll have a real hard time breaking your line in an attempt to get your fly back.

Try out different combinations... you'll find one that works for you or you'll do like most of us... buy more stuff until you do.

My suggestion with releasing these fish in winter water is to stay with them until they are ready to swim off. You'll find the 10lb fish and up will take up to several minutes to revive before they're ready to go. I don't feel there's a need to move them back and forth, just be patient and enjoy the moment. They'll swim off when they're ready. Then, you're back to casting for the next one!

Of course, as the other Mike mentioned, if you don't plan on releasing the fish, there's far less to be concerned about.

Good luck, be safe, have fun. Hope this thread helped you... lots of good information provided by others before me very knowledgable on this topic.

Ron
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

Hello Mike McKenzie and a late welcome to our little BB.

I did not realize you were on our message board till right now.

A heads up to all the rest of us here on our lovely little message board, Mike is considered by many to be the most knowledgeable fly fishers in the Delta. Mike has fished the delta longer than most and had guided there as well.

It is a privilege to have people like Mike and his protégé Kevin Dorin on our BB.

Thanks Mike for your help with info on Striper fishing in the Delta.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Well stated Mike M. and Lee S. :P
    I've been preaching "terminal strength" (or class tippet) in all my clinics for more years (decades?????) than I care to think about. It is a key to understanding total equipment performance in the field.

I appreciate you guys very much. Your field knowledge is substantial indeed. I'm proud to know you guyzzzzzz!
    Cheers, Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

Yo! Ken!!!
    Gotta call ya later.
    The Russian was still BROWN today. Should get fishable soon......but NOT green. Very little water running yet. Cold creek nearly dry yet. Pieta running clear yet.
    Clearlake busy with CRAPPIE. We saw many today above 2#. One boga'd 2LB 10oz! GRAND specimen.
    Love ya guy.....later.

Default Hey Bill...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene
    Hello Mike McKenzie and a late welcome to our little BB.

Thanks for the belated welcome Bill..Glad to be here.

I did not realize you were on our message board till right now.

A heads up to all the rest of us here on our lovely little message board, Mike is considered by many to be the most knowledgeable fly fishers in the Delta. Mike has fished the delta longer than most and had guided there as well.

Again, thanks for the kudos.

It is a privilege to have people like Mike and his protégé Kevin Dorin on our BB.

While Kevin isn't exactly my protégé, as He had 15 years on the delta and had it figured out before I met him, He is a great friend and fishin' buddy, also one of the few out there that knows the delta and bassin' inside and out.

Thanks Mike for your help with info on Striper fishing in the Delta.
    I hope the info helps and Thanks again for the welcome!
    Mike