Thread: Rogue River Salmon Flies

Default Rogue River Salmon Flies

Just a quick report from the Rogue River. Salmon flies are hatching! I was at the Holy Water section today and a few salmon flies were flying about. This means that more salmon flies are hatching near Shady Cove and upstream. The hatch will continue to work its way upriver for the next few weeks. Water flows are slowly dropping a bit, but still a bit high at 2400cfs. Wading is difficult, floating is the way to go. Wading access is very limited on the Rogue especially above Shady Cove. More access can be found in the Holy Water section which should see more bugs in two weeks with fingers crossed that the flows continue to drop. Fly of choice... #6 Chubby Chernobyl-Purple. Spring chinooks are making an appearance in middle to upper river with many boat and bank anglers chasing them. I'll be heading to Sac the end of June to teach casting and fly-fishing lessons. Email me if you are interested in a private lesson. jeff@jpflyfishing.com
    Hope everyone has a great Memorial Day weekend!
    Jeff Putnam
    JP Flyfishing Schools
    http://jpflyfishing.com

Thanks Jeff,

It is nice to have you living up on the middle Rogue River now.

Chuck Campana used to go to the Holy Water on the Rogue River every spring for the famous Salmon fly hatch.

My good friend and mentor, Al Perryman, has lived up there for decades now and goes out most mornings from July 4th till November

for Steelhead. Al uses a 12'4" #5 line ACR Spey rod with a Scandi head, a leader the length of his rod, and a dark #6 classic winged

Steelhead fly. The fish can trickle in July and August some years and he gets ahold of some hot ones and some years it is slower.

October is a pretty popular time up that way on the middle Rogue River for Steelhead.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Different river, but I am up in Idaho this week and the sammies are coming off in force on the HF. The fishing on Monday, however, was terrible. On an 8 mile float we rose three decent fish to the dry and that was it, in spite of blanket hatches of caddis and sammies. The fish are probably gorged out on nymphs and it will be a week or so before the dry fly fishing gets better.

Fished the Deschutes last week. Salmon flies were virtually gone, but good numbers of large Golden Stones, PMD’s, Caddis and Yellow Sallies. Fish were on all of the bugs. Decent fishing, weather was all over the board. One day was 30-40 mph winds, but the fishing was decent.

The fly shop in Maupin, Deschutes River Anglers, is one of the most impressive fly shops I have ever seen. Great owners, staff and unbelievable stock assortment.