Thread: The old American River Closure and Opener dates

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hey Brian,

My insight only goes back to 1985, but the regs have always been the same (except for the late ‘90’s) as long as I’ve been here. The power lines at Ancil Hoffman upstream closed 11-1 to 1-1. Of course, it also used to be open above Hazel. Beyond that, you’ll need to ask the (even) old (er) guys…

Being one of those old (er) guys, I seem to remember that there was a closure of the upper river in February. Speaking with one of my fellow experienced friends who now lives in Oregon, he remembers the closure starting February 15th for a year or so and then being changed to February 1st. The time period was the mid sixties. Now it’s time for those with the technology to research the facts. I’m sure it couldn’t have been the “herbs” clouding our memories.

I have a copy of the California 1960 Sport Fishing Regulations. Section 25.39 American Salmon Spawning Area. The American River from the YMCA quonset hut, about one mile downstream from the gate at the end of Arden Way to Nimbus Dam is a salmon spawning area closed to all fishing from October 16 to January 31.

Sections25.38, 25.39 and section 25.40 all deal with the American River

So the spawning area was from approximately the upper part of Gristmill up to the Dam. That is a significant change. About 10 river miles for spawning habitat and 12 miles for fishing.

My old friends who are all gone now said that before the dames were on the American river they fished

for salmon right where they put those two lakes, Folsom and Natomas.

So basically they covered that best part of the river with water.

Besides stopping the fish from getting upstream to spawn, the dams also stop the flow of rocks and gravel for spawning.

I always heard King salmon like larger rocks than Steelhead.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    My old friends who are all gone now said that before the dames were on the American river they fished

for salmon right where they put those two lakes, Folsom and Natomas.

So basically they covered that best part of the river with water.

Besides stopping the fish from getting upstream to spawn, the dams also stop the flow of rocks and gravel for spawning.

I always heard King salmon like larger rocks than Steelhead.
    Helped film a commercial up in Coloma years ago. The old timer that owned the property remembered catching salmon up there on the south fork as a child on the family farm property. Love fighting big fish in skinny waters.