Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North Fork Yuba in October

Default North Fork Yuba in October

Hi everyone,

I am planning a fishing/camping trip Oct 22 with my 12yr daughter and a couple of her friends. I was thinking the N Fork Yuba might be a good idea. Anyone know when the October caddis generally start popping? Any ideas for a good camping location not too close to the road?

Thanks

Brett

I think that the forest service campgrounds close after Labor Day. You might call the forest service office in Nevada City and ask if any are open year round.

--Joe

From Downieville upstream to Sierra City there are lots of resorts with nice little cabins to rent by the day.

It is probably off season up there after Labor Day but the fishing should be good.

Pretty sure the state camp grounds are closed.

I just called Sierra Pines Resort in Sierra City, formerly Herrington's Sierra Pines Resort. They will be open.

We always liked staying there because they have a nice big lodge, cabins and a good "warm" restaurant.

They have rooms for around $100/night.

https://www.sierrapinesresort.com/photo-gallery/

That time of year the nights might be a little cold for camping?

Downieville is a nice place to visit with some good restaurants.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Pupa View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am planning a fishing/camping trip Oct 22 with my 12yr daughter and a couple of her friends. I was thinking the N Fork Yuba might be a good idea. Anyone know when the October caddis generally start popping? Any ideas for a good camping location not too close to the road?

Thanks

Brett
    There are a very few Oct caddis coming off now as well as some Paraleptophlebia (mahogany duns). Oct 22 might be a bit late in the game, but the fish will have a recent memory of the bugs even if they aren't popping off in droves.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    There are a very few Oct caddis coming off now as well as some Paraleptophlebia (mahogany duns). Oct 22 might be a bit late in the game, but the fish will have a recent memory of the bugs even if they aren't popping off in droves.
    I agree with this, and the lower river (below Ladies Canyon Creek) will have more bugs than the upper section. NFYR is all about the dry fly, but don't be afraid to go dry/dropper especially as the water cools and the days shorten. Also in the deepest slots and channels a light nymph rig with a small (size 12 or smaller) rubberlegs and prince nymph duo is not inappropriate.

Thanks guys. Any other small stream destinations that might still be decent end of October?

The Downie River comes into the NFYR in Downieville.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

IMHO, I think that the NF Yuba is as good as it gets for small stream fishing at that time of year. Lots of smaller fish, and the few large ones seem to come out and play for the October Caddis. I have not fished there for the October Caddis in a few years, but I would use a couple of large, size 8 Montana Salmonfly patterns with a lot of success. They are pretty much all a good imitations for the October Caddis. In particular, the Cat Puke pattern really produced.

Downieville and Sierra City are empty right now, there are several decent motels in both towns. If you don't mind busting out around $300/ night, you could stay in a cabin at either The Lure Resort or the Sierra Shangri La, both of which are right on the river and have some very nice cabins.

I drove over to Downieville from Truckee a week and a half ago to escape the Mosquito Fire smoke, and the river is in good shape. It is running a little low.

I hope you get up there to enjoy it!

Bob

Even if USFS camps are closed, there are hundreds of miles of dirt roads with a zillion opportunities for dirt camping. I normally avoid "improved" camp grounds at all costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    The Downie River comes into the NFYR in Downieville.
    With similarly good fishing but very difficult access.

I would say the other creeks up that way will be quite low. Many of them are also really challenging to access given the topography.