Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: West Walker River

Quote Originally Posted by KSB209 View Post
    A week after I got back but I wanted to share. My fly fishing skills are probably to blame for the lack of fish on the fly so I switched to conventional gear and drifted worms. My guesss was 60-70 trout in 2 days for 2 guys drifting worms. I know this is a fly fishing forum but hey.... the walker was on fire a week ago. Just need to hone in my casting and fly skills for the trip next year
    Thanks for sharing the report, sounds like you guys got into a lot of action alright. It sounds like you are a bit new to fishing, so your enthusiasm is understood, but you should be aware that fishing with worms has a much higher mortality rate so it’s not really ideal for catch and release fishing. Drifting worms is one thing if you are looking for a couple of trout for dinner while out camping, but Catching and releasing a whole pile of trout on worms really isn’t cool at all. Not meaning a personal slam, but hopefully the next time you’re really getting that kind of action you might switch to a less lethal and more sustainable form of angling.

JB
    Last edited by JasonB; 08-11-2018 at 07:59 AM.
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

From Fly fishing too worms is like going from Tobacco to Heroin. But I have kids and they've all started that way but now have progressed to C&R, fly fishing , and some conventional lures when bass fishing etc.

As a suggestion tie on a wooly bugger on the West Walker or drift a SJ/egg pattern . Trust me you will catch fish. They plant it pretty heavy now and you will catch fish. Keep at it. You will have some tough days but in the end things will work out.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    Thanks for sharing the report, sounds like you guys got into a lot of action alright. It sounds like you are a bit new to fishing, so your enthusiasm is understood, but you should be aware that fishing with worms has a much higher mortality rate so it’s not really ideal for catch and release fishing. Drifting worms is one thing if you are looking for a couple of trout for dinner while out camping, but Catching and releasing a whole pile of trout on worms really isn’t cool at all. Not meaning a personal slam, but hopefully the next time you’re really getting that kind of action you might switch to a less lethal and more sustainable form of angling.

JB
    I think many things come into play with regards to a trout's mortality rate in conjunction with fishing with the "garden hackle". The bottom line is whether or not the trout can inhale the bait as they do with eggs or chemically treated baits that stimulate appetite. A good size redworm or crawler threaded on a hook presented in moving water might be taken very similar to how they would take a Woolly Bugger or leech pattern. Angler skill is another variable and probably the most significant.

IF my kids are fishing with baits (eggs, worms, crickets, "dough") it is assumed the catch will be taken home and consumed. However, I've noticed as their skills improve, most fish are hooked in the layer of skin around the mouth. Of course, Lake fishing is a whole other ballgame......

Just another point of view.

On another note, I'm pretty sure the angler was aware of the consequences and would have ceased fishing if every fish was 'gut-hooked'........
    Last edited by OceanSunfish; 08-11-2018 at 04:27 PM.

The river is planted for a put and take situation. The fish are sterile (triploid). The powers to be are managing the river system for Lahontan Cutthroat throat trout even though they don't/can't seem to survive after plants in the past.
    There are a few Brown trout in the river and should (in my view) be handled with care and returned to live another day.

Even with fly caught trout there is some mortality. It would be nice if all anglers would consider the next person who will follow him/her while they enjoy a day in God's creation and a day of fishing. Why do we all need big fish day totals?????

Dick, I don't know the WW that well but I've heard a lot of those browns reside in the private land stretch near Coleville. I've never caught one in the canyon section.

They are few and far between but there are some. During the C&R season I picked up a couple. One about 16". Had one come up for a dry last week but missed it.
    The largest percentage of catches are Rainbows and there doesn't seem to be much natural reproduction of any resident RT.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick View Post
    They are few and far between but there are some. During the C&R season I picked up a couple. One about 16". Had one come up for a dry last week but missed it.
    The largest percentage of catches are Rainbows and there doesn't seem to be much natural reproduction of any resident RT.
    Yeah, really bums me out. I've had some good luck with wilds on the Little Walker but that is a trek and off the path. More of a creek. The WW is really just a put and take factory now. Reminds me of the EC which is too bad. Not sure how long you've been fishing it but I heard there was a major flood back in the mid 1990's and it apparently never recovered.

Here we go...down the wormhole (pardon the pun)

January 1997 the highway was washed out in several places along with the Mt. Gate Lodge and cabins. The river has had it ups and downs fishing wise since. DFG has attempted to establish Cutts but they haven't done well.

I figured I was going to get hammered on this board when I mentioned worms. Thats why it took a week to respond about my trip. I wasn’t sure if I should and even tell you all I was drifting worms. With that said I have thick skin.....most of the fishing I do when I plan on releasing is with pinched barbs and a little piece of plastic that keeps the worms/bait on. 90% of the fish come off with out me even touching them and swim away just fine. Anyways I hope to become better with the fly rod for next season.