Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff's 2018 AR Shad Reports

Quote Originally Posted by cmcdhuibh View Post
    I'm finding that the one area I fished the last couple years isn't producing but just a few this year and the word is out. I tied on a dry fly and skated the area above the upper sunrise island late in the evening for some solid hits but no hookups. Not sure what is jumping around in that area but I was curious so I'll try it again. It was really windy and the caddis were not as thick last night. probably squaw fish, maybe trout.
    Be safe out there!
    Maybe Half-pounders?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

OK, here's a question most everyone has heard. Do you think the shad bite will last until mid June. That's when I'll be back from Baja and want to get my "fix" or shad fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Baja Fly Fisher View Post
    OK, here's a question most everyone has heard. Do you think the shad bite will last until mid June. That's when I'll be back from Baja and want to get my "fix" or shad fishing.
    It usually does last till mid June. Usually 2nd week of July is when the action slows down. Towards the 3rd and 4th week of July is when it stops. Shad tend to head out in a sudden move. You’re getting them the day before and the next it’s dead!
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Over 30 shad to the boat on a float with Earle today plus several chrome steelhead hooked but not landed. It was a great day!

That was Andy with a client in his Lowe jet. Great day of fishing but it got crowded in the evening with over 30 anglers in a short run. Still ended up with double digits and got to fish with Danny aka The Kid.

Thanks for the info regarding mid june bite

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
    Josh the pleasure was mine to meet you. I was blown out to see the bobber guys walk out and fish where you were hooking fish, but this is the American an urban gem but expect anything and I have seen it all. Floated this afternoon with Earle Sloan and it was slow but we got over 30 to the boat considering how it has slowed down.
    Curious if there was any apprehension or acknowledgement on behalf of the "bobber guys" that literally walked out into the slot?

The flip side is that I've seen single hand fly rod FF literally wade out into the slot where the float fisherman were drifting for steelhead......

As you say, it's the American River......

20 years ? ago we had a large group of young South East Asian Shad guys at the Rossmoore access who were very bold.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

The bump up in flow put the bite off a little. Still ended up with double digits. Broke the 500 mark in only 16 days!

Quote Originally Posted by STEELIES/26c3 View Post
    Way to take care of the old schoolers Jeff Sometimes, they surprise me and I get SCHOOLED and outfished by those guys using their ancient gear and methodology and when it goes the other way, it's probably best to just offer up a bit of refinement in tackle rather than try to explain why your way of fishing is superior to theirs...
    What is the preffered equipment setup? Based on what you said I'm running an antiquated one myself. I got out and caught a few last night but if an update in gear is necessary to increase my success I'd like to know.

Thanks!

Robert