Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wahoo on the Fly!

I went on this trip for my 50th birthday. You do NOT want me on this. In our 8 days we raised:

Striped Marlin - 0
    Wahoo - 0
    YFT over schoolie size - One small pod and they never came to the boat.

Trey hosted that trip and at the end said "This was my 34th time doing this trip and this was by FAR the worst one ever." I have been itching to go again ever since. Nobody every accused me of being smart....lol.

Time of the year is EVERYTHING. We talked to Trey, and he ran most of his trips in Jan-Feb, because the boats are cheaper during that time frame. Cheaper for a reason, less fish. Most of his trips were 5-8 day trips and went no further than Alijos Rocks, well short of our destination of Mag Bay.

We will be there Nov-Dec, PRIMETIME. But, as we all know, don't count your fish until they're at leader.
    Last edited by Crusty; 04-29-2018 at 05:10 PM.

We spent most our entire trip off shore from Mag Bay down to Cabo. Hit all the "famous" humps and ridges. But it was in January and that may have been a part of the issue. But still it wasn't that we had fewer fish....we had NONE.

Quote Originally Posted by ifsteve View Post
    We spent most our entire trip off shore from Mag Bay down to Cabo. Hit all the "famous" humps and ridges. But it was in January and that may have been a part of the issue. But still it wasn't that we had fewer fish....we had NONE.
    All the way to Cabo on an eight day? Doesn't sound right.

Sorry you had a bad trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    All the way to Cabo on an eight day? Doesn't sound right.

Sorry you had a bad trip.
    What doesn't sound right about that?

Quote Originally Posted by ifsteve View Post
    What doesn't sound right about that?
    It takes 3 days for a party boat out of San Diego to get to Cabo non-stop (no fishing or searching), and 3 to 3 and 1/2 days to return (possible uphill weather). That leaves two days to fish on an eight day.

I was unaware of any fly down or back trips by Trey. Fly down to Cabo and return to S.D. would work time-wise, but you wouldn't have 400+ scoops of live chum that you would have with a S.D. departure. I may be wrong, but I'm unaware of any S.D. departures and fly back by Trey.

All the way to Cabo round trip from S.D. just doesn't leave enough time to fish or work an area on an eight day.

Again, sorry you had a bad trip.

Rusty

Rusty,

This trip was 8 days of fishing. Should have been more clear on that. There were several options for taking the trip. You could meet the boat in SD and do the several day boat ride down to Mag Bay. But most of us flew to Cabo, bussed to La Paz for a night. Then bussed from La Paz over to Mag Bay to meet the Shogun. Then fish 8 days ending up in Cabo the last night. Then you could fly back from Cabo or if you were crazy you could ride the boat all the way back to SD. So we did have the live wells loaded with chum etc.

It was a fantastic experience. Just the fishing sucked....lol. If I wasn't headed to the Seychelles next year I'd be all over this one

Good luck!!