Thread: Muddy River Striper Report

Question Muddy River Striper Report

As we all know the rivers have been a mess for the last few weeks. Then they start to clear, and then they go to hell again. If it's not the rain, it's a water release from the dams. As Bill mentioned in a prior post, if you can see a foot or more in the water it's worth a try.

For the past couple of weeks we made several trips to the Feather and picked up one or two fish per trip. Then it would blow out again and we'd have to wait. The bait guys started showing in more numbers but it was still too dirty for flies, until yesterday.

Jim and I decided to give it another try this time over on the Sac. Yes, it's still muddy, but you might be able to see a foot once the sun comes up. Gray over-cast skies didn't help with water clarity either.

There were quite a few boats out mostly bouncing minnows or dunking pile worms. And here we were, a couple of guys throwing FLIES in muddy water.

It wasn't long though and Jim gets a hook-up and the first striper comes to the boat. Yahoo, a good start! We motor back up and hit the same wall again and get another grab. This time it feels a little heavier Jim says. It was heavier, a BIG Squawfish. Damn, but they're all fun and we continue our routine.

It's getting a little lighter out now, still no sun, but I think we can see about a foot in the water,,,,maybe ? I still can't see my prop very well.

We move to several more of our favorite spots hoping fish will be holding there even in the muddy water. We get a few more bumps and Jim is hooked up again, and another nice fish comes to the boat. Then it's my turn, and I've got a carbon copy of Jim's fish. All legal or just barely under legal size fish. These had to be all males as they seem to arrive first in the rivers, and, most were already spilling milt waiting for the hens to show up later as they do.

The water temp was already at 63 degrees in the Sac. while over on the Feather it was barely 53 degrees. I'm sure the run off and water releases from the dams are keeping things cooler over here.

So, we continue along, hitting wall after wall, looking for eddies or currant breaks or usual holding spots and Jim keeps hooking up one after another. He definitely had the hot rod yesterday. Me, on the other hand, I kept loosing and changing flies, changing colors, changing anything to better find those fish, and I did get a couple by the end of the day as well. But over-all, it was a great day, even with all the muddy water, and lack of visibility.

Now with these rains we've got today, it's going to blow everything out again and we'll have to wait some more. At least till we can see a foot or more
    Tony
    Last edited by Tony Buzolich; 04-06-2018 at 11:52 AM.
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Disregard my last post Tony. I thought you meant in the same thread that Bill started.

And yes I can agree that you can fish muddy water to a certain extent. But when I last saw the feather down bellow the 99 is was mud. And American the same. As for the Sac I don’t think I have to mention it if both the American and the Feather where straight mud
    Last edited by winxp_man; 04-06-2018 at 01:08 PM.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Sometimes the "lower" part of the Feather gets muddied up from where the Yuba comes into it at Marysille. The Yuba has been terrible with all the run-off, and now with Bullard's Bar at max capacity they're having to release a ton more water which in turn enters the Feather at Marysville and screws up everything downstream from there. Upstream on the Feather above the mouth of the Yuba the water had cleared somewhat and was fishable.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Thanks for the report Tony!

Wed morn this week I went to Colusa. The Sac was pretty muddy and the water was 62 degF up there.
    BTW, do you guides consider Colusa to be part of the "Lower Sac"?

I fished about 2 miles upstream -> 4 mi down from the Colusa Landing launch... and caught 2 legal stripers, about 20" and 18. One on a rattling clouser, and the other one cheating with a spinner rod and rattling swimbait.

I'm not crazy about this river near Colusa; it's not pretty and it's mostly very uniform--except for the numerous underwater trees. Not many "spots" where there's frogy water next to current, typical striper hangouts. Made me miss fishing the Feather at Gridley, where striper spots are obvious. The river flow gods have been real erratic with the Feather this year, but the next time they maintain the same flow, over 4,000 CFS for 3 days in a row-- I'm going back there.

Guess we have to put our greed on hold again for awhile; after the main rains are over and the waters clear, I bet the stripers will turn on just about everywhere.

Cheers, M