Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Fishing Vehicle Question - Honda Element?

Default New Fishing Vehicle Question - Honda Element?

My wonderful, old (20 this year) Subaru Forester needs to be put out to pasture...More likely recycled....and I am looking for a new (used) car to get me to trout as well as other places.

The Forester was almost perfect: In a pinch I could sleep in it; AWD was great in snow and ice; Carried everything I needed for a month away from home whether it was fishing or dancing or Both! I would have loved to have gotten better than the 30 MPG I get when going to Portland but that is still above what the car is "supposed" to get so that is not much of a point.

Looking around fro a newer Forester I have come across the Honda Element AWD and wonder if anyone out there uses this as their preferred fishing vehicle? From looking at it I have a concern about the clearance as it looks to be little lower than the Forester. But it looks big enough and seems like it is pretty comfortable to drive and it has the AWD that comes in very handy on all the dirt roads we end up on chasing fish.

Any experience with the Element? Good or Bad appreciate the input.

Thanks.

Bob,

You're right on the Element. My brother has one. Clearance is the major issue. Not much clearance at all. I wouldn't take an Element on back roads unless you're positive there's no clearance issues. On the good side, you fold down those back seats and it's like having a van in the back. tons of room for stuff and sleeping if you need to.

I only buy X-Terra's now. The most reliable cars I've ever had. Never had any problems with any of them. And you can put 300k miles on them easy. I've taken them on serious 4x4 roads and they perform as good as a Jeep or FJ Cruiser. I highly recommend the Nissan's. Too bad they discontinued them last year, but there's a lot of used ones around.

Good luck on your car search.

I just hit 200k on my 06'. It can go more places than Jeff gives it credit. I bounce around dirt roads, if you could call them that, in the North Rockies without issue. I built a camping platform so it sleeps comfortably. Only downside is MPG, being shaped like a toaster and cruising at 2900 RPM on the highway makes it around 20mpg. Sucks in the wind too. I'll probably drive mine to 300k. I've gone through 2 alternators beyond the factory one, $400 each, otherwise no maintenance issues beyond normal oil changes and brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post

I only buy X-Terra's now. The most reliable cars I've ever had. Never had any problems with any of them. And you can put 300k miles on them easy. I've taken them on serious 4x4 roads and they perform as good as a Jeep or FJ Cruiser. I highly recommend the Nissan's. Too bad they discontinued them last year, but there's a lot of used ones around.
    I'll second the Xterra. I have an 04 with 292K I once used as my business rig. Now it's a solid fishing rig that double as an over-nighter, if needed. It can tackle just about any road/weather condition without lockers. A lot of trips to the Olympic Peninsula in deep snow.
    You shoulda been here yesterday!

I drive an FJ.
    Bad points: Poor visibility, not great mileage, bad in the wind, back not big enough to sleep in.
    Good points: Best resale value, things just don't go wrong mechanically. Friends have commented: "That's the longest you've ever had a vehicle." I tell them I keep looking for a reason to sell it, but nothing ever goes wrong; I can't justify getting rid of it.
    Unfortunately, Toyota stopped making FJs.
    Maybe another Forester is the best bet for you.

We have had 2 xterras and recommend the for fishing rigs for sure!

Why not stick with Subaru since you enjoyed it. I like their crosstraks. Take a look at those once
    "...and on the eighth day God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes..."

I have 2 2016 Subaru Foresters that I love in all weather and road conditions here in Colorado. One of my Foresters has all, well what I am using that season, of my trout fishing gear stored in the covered back space. I keep my rods assembled and lined on a wall rack in my garage. Before leaving for a day's fishing, I just select the rods that I think I will fish that day, and into the Forester they go. Almost all of my trout rods are 9' or slightly shorter.

Bob VP - While I know that you already appreciate your current Forest, I wanted throw in my 2 cents.

Best of luck in your search.

Bob G
    Last edited by Bob G; 11-03-2017 at 05:28 AM.

I'll fourth the Nissan Xterra as a regular passenger (in Jeff F's). We have been on some of
    the gnarliest roads, huge rocks, deep gravel and sand and it's performed flawlessly.

The clearance is awesome (built on a truck frame as I understand) and the ride is smooth.
    Some aggressive tires on it too.

If you aren't getting into many 4x4 situations, I'd stick with the Forester. They are nice looking
    to boot. But if you want push the envelope, I'd go Xterra. My 4x4 RAV4 doesn't even come close.
    Only downside with the Nissan is probably the MPG.

EricO

Quote Originally Posted by johnsquires View Post
    I drive an FJ.
    Bad points: Poor visibility, not great mileage, bad in the wind, back not big enough to sleep in.
    Good points: Best resale value, things just don't go wrong mechanically. Friends have commented: "That's the longest you've ever had a vehicle." I tell them I keep looking for a reason to sell it, but nothing ever goes wrong; I can't justify getting rid of it.
    Unfortunately, Toyota stopped making FJs.
    Maybe another Forester is the best bet for you.
    Ditto on your points about the FJ, I drive one too. I believe but cannot verify that Toyota marketed these as a replacement to the old land cruisers which were aggressive no frills off-road vehicles. Land cruisers have since morphed into expensive luxury suv's.
    I second the idea of getting another Subaru if you liked yours. Economical, reliable and highly functional for your needs. A small truck like a Toyota Tacoma with a camper shell might be a consideration as well.