Thread: American

Default American

Fished pretty-hard yesterday and went home with my tail between my legs AGAIN - drifted with couple of buddies from Sailor to Watt. Avoided several of the popular holes that had boats in them. Thought I had the lines dialed, three shooting heads to 300, two sinking lines 250/300. Saw about 6 shad all day, lots of suckers. One shad to the boat, one really large sucker, no half pounders. Been seeing some big momma stripers in some surprising water. Really shouldn't be surprising, but you learn something everytime you go out I guess. Got a really bad sunburn, not even a good buzz - what is wrong with this picture (besides not catching fish)?

Thanks for the "honest" report. I wish there was more going on out there.

Katz
    "The only time we're guaranteed, is the time we've already had. So make the most of every day!"

well chuckie i guess your callin the wrong buddies cuz i'm findin plenty.hope to hear from you soon.

Hey guys, I agree with Charlie. There's plenty of fish around. I've been out the last three days and the slowest day was 3 fish in 2 hours, but mostly cause I couldn't get any to stick. They were just kind of nippin' at it and not really grabbin' on. My buddies right next to me with spinning rods were doing pretty good. And we had a couple BIG stripers chasing the hooked shad.

CW - what time did you float past Gristmill? I was anchored in a blue pontoon boat next to a couple guys in a small aluminum from about 5 to 7:30 when I floated down to Watt looking for stripers.

Hey nightgoat, how's the conditions at Gristmill? Can you fish from an oar powered craft and make it back to take out or do you need to float to Watt to take out and arrange a shuttle? It's been hit and miss at Watt so far, I've seen two striper attacks there though.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

I've been rowing myself back up to Gristmill in the pontoon and I've seen several driftboats do the same thing. That was when the flows where 4500 - 5000. I haven't tried it yet at 7000. But I imagine it's possible, just get to the left side (facing downriver) and start pullin' on them oars!

There are several good holes at Gristmill and MOST of the boats are very friendly ( I've seen a couple jerks ) and will let you anchor near them to fish the bucket.

I'll probably be out tonight with my buddy in his boat (my pontoon doesn't anchor very well with flows over 5000), so if you're going out shoot me an e-mail, or look for the two guys in the small aluminum boat tossin flies.

Default CW

Never said the fish weren't there, just said that I wasn't doing any catching. Floated past Gristmill probably around 5 or 6 pm ..... Katz - my honest report was a bit whiny - I'll buck up and just fish. I'll hit it again this weekend probably, maybe make it to the YUBER (looks like MSP is at his usual antics again). Jackson?