Thread: Do Bauer CFX reels free spool?

Default Do Bauer CFX reels free spool?

Like what he's talking about here?

https://youtu.be/rmX6nJ6u2Kg?t=8m12s

I bought one off this board recently and it's a nicely made reel in all other respects but this one, at least, does not free spool. Which is a drawback, I find that handy to pick up a lot of line quickly.

Default Free Spool....

"Do Bauer cfx reels free spool".... I don't know whether your reel free spools or not but you should be able to find that out by spinning the spool using the handle. If it spins freely in either direction without clicking, it's a free spool reel.

Seems like if you're going to pick up a lot of slack line quickly by using your reel hand as Galloup describes in the video, the spool would've been designed with a rim control side. If yours doesn't have a rim control side, so you could use your palm to control run speed or to press/slide your palm on it in order to retrieve line without using the reel handle you wouldn't be able to perform line retrieval in the manner Galloup describes.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Sooo... is a Center Pin reel just a fly reel that free spools in both directions? Could a guy take a cheap reel, say an Okuma, and make a usable Center Pin by modifying it?

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    "Do Bauer cfx reels free spool".... I don't know whether your reel free spools or not but you should be able to find that out by spinning the spool using the handle. If it spins freely in either direction without clicking, it's a free spool reel.
    I think we're talking about two different things. What you call free spool isn't what he called free spool. For example, I've got a Ross Evolution 3.5
    that free spools, by which I mean you can put your fingers on the rim, give it a good push and it will easily rotate 5 full turns. Which is a lot faster.

The Bauer CFX that I have will only go about 1 turn, it's "stickier". I'm trying to figure out if that is normal for that reel or if that reel is defective or if I need to lube it somehow.

I've got Lamson LP 1 and 1.5 and 2 reels that free spool nicely (they vary, but a good one will do 3-4 full rotations with one push).

I think you are suggesting that a free spool reel has no drag, it's just a spool on a pole. That's not what I mean, the Ross and Lamsons have drags.
    They free spool only in the line pickup direction.
    Last edited by luckydude; 01-13-2017 at 07:24 PM.

Yup. Center pins have no drag. They do have a clicker function but it's selectable and generally not used except when not fishing to prevent the accidental unwinding of line. I was somewhat bewildered by the use of "Free Spool" applied to a fly reel. However I've wanted a center pin outfit for years so maybe it's time to improvise.