Thread: Winter Storms trigger a good grab at Pyramid Lake

Default Winter Storms trigger a good grab at Pyramid Lake

After a very slow week of fishing at Pyramid Lake it has picked up again. A high pressure ridge with little or no wind made fishing very tough last week. However, today a winter storm arrived pushing the high pressure out and brought in snow and wind. This improved the fishing greatly. Pyramid Lake guide Nick Jackson caught a 14lbr. and a 12lbr. today 12/7/16. Hopefully with the series of expected storms the fishing will remain good through this week. Check out the Blog page at www.pyramidlakeguideservice.com/blog/ for some great recent pictures.

Nick only got 3 fish that day, and the bite actually got worse in the days after that. There are fish around, and you might get a big one, but expect to put in some time to get them.
    Last edited by JD; 12-12-2016 at 12:36 PM.
    -JD

JD,
    I just talked to Nick, he only fished for 2 hours that day (Thursday). 3 fish with two big ones is very good. He wants to know where you got your info! On Friday Nick fished for two hours and got two more double digit fish. Also on Friday Pyramid Fly Co. guide Casey Anderson had a good day with 10 fish in 6 hours with one big fish. Saturday was very windy with rain all day. My guys toughed it out and released 9 fish in 9 hours of fishing. Pyramid Fly Co. CEO Captain Robert Hagerty did well on Saturday releasing 8 fish in three hours with two over 10lbs. Sunday we got only 2 fishing all day, it was very tough, not much wind. Today we fished from 7:30am to 9:30am releasing one fish that weighed 14 1/2 lbs. in the net, approx. 12 lbs. A true trophy. They had to get to the airport for an afternoon flight home back to Calgary. I just got an email from Judy Crosby at Crosby Lodge. It is a picture of a 16 pounder from today for the Catch & Release board at the Lodge. We have some outstanding C&R pictures on the wall from this year. As I have stated several times in my reports, Pyramid can take a lot of work and hours on the water but sometimes it pays off big. So, the grab was much better this week than last week due to the storms.
    Check out the blog page for a picture of today's fish. www.pyramidlakeguideservice.com/blog/
    Thanks

Always love the real first hand reports Doug!
    Casey and the the Pyramid Fly Co boys are a hoot to fish with!
    And I'm not sure anyone spends more time at the lake than Casey Anderson from Pyramid Fly co.
    The boy has it dialed in quite well. As stated....its not about the numbers this time of year, but that big grab we all wait for.
    Im sure this week should bring a few more of those big fish with the storms rolling thru.
    But you cant catch them from the couch.

Odd, heard the story from Nick on the beach Thursday, and I know he was on the water longer than 2 hours Thursday because I was there too. Perhaps I have the wrong person.
    -JD

I talked to Nick again today. He only fished two hours in the evening. You are probably are mistaken. No big deal.