Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ocean (near shore) fishing for kelp bass and lings

Default Price Point, etc....

GreggH,.... Is this venture going to be full time for you??? Gotta say I really would enjoy a rock fishin' trip. Used to fish off the rocks at the Palos Verdes peninsula in SoCal when younger and off any break wall I could find while in the bay area.

Bill's questions are all good. I'd say your price for 6 hours is on the high end but not out of line as you've said you'll be towing lengthy distances and you'll have to cover cost of a lot of gas, wear/tear on your trailer, etc.

I've fished with Maury Hatch in the Delta and he provides an extra I find really enjoyable, especially when it's cold. Warm burritos. Just something to consider. You might consider a large thermos of hot coffee.... I'm assuming you already have a captains license and discussed this venture with guys who've done this before.

Good luck!!!
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

The scenery is hard to beat and it sounds like a blast!
    I grew up near the area and that is what I consider Northern CA coast. Rocks, cliffs and kelp.
    Maybe I can talk my pops into venturing out w/ you. Looks like a blast!

With the price of all the gear and expenses being put into the trips I would say your rates are fair.
    Large sw rod/reel= not cheap. Boat to access the water safely=not cheap at all. Maintanance on sw boats=more.

I on the consumer end think you would benefit from some more pictures. Fish, action shots and maybe some lunch layout and guests having fun. Seems you have all the bases covered. Now just the carrot on the end of the string

Thanks for all the feedback guys, really good stuff. Yes, got my 100 ton license last month and waiting for all paper work to go through. This will be a summer 2017 launch, website, rates and new boat will be up and running for spring. I can't wait to share with you guys the near shore opertunities we've been fishing for years. I'll also be offering SF bay trips that I've been fishing for decades, 20, 30 Striper days are not uncommon and a blast on the 7 wt. We will be in a 2017 Steiger Craft 21 Long Beach, 1st one on the west coast!
    The more people I meet, the more I love my dog.

Team Stinky Duck

Say hey Gregg,

Big congrats on your Captain's License. Very exciting. I wish you all the best.

Cheers, Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

Quote Originally Posted by GreggH View Post
    Trying to get a price point for a guided day of near shore rock fishing off Marin, Sonoma coast.. First, is this something you would be interested in and how much would you pay? All gear and beautiful center console. I think $575.00 (2 rods) for 6 hrs is in line. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Gregg,

I think if your a Calif. Lic. guide and have a Coast Guard Capt. lic. and also supply the fly rods and flies, plus the big insurance liability policy That $575.00 is a reasonable price. Good luck on your endeavor.

Carl Blackledge

Hey Carl,

You and Ken H will always have a seat in my boat as a guest. Please drop a note or call anytime.

Regards, Gregg

The more people I meet, the more I love my dog.

Team Stinky Duck

Default Take a Look....

at the website of Captain Vaughn Podmore, a saltwater guide in Socal:

www.saltyflyfishing.com/

Might find something of interest there.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Gregg,

That is one outstanding kind offer, Thank you very much.

Carl Blackledge

Gregg,
    Lost your #......e-mail or call me.
    ....lee s.
    P.S......Looks good!

Gregg

Here is some info off of Mike Costello's web site. I think he is considered one of the best west coast veteran skiff guides.

TIME: Full day trips usually last nine (9) hours.

2016 Guide Rates
    Full Day Trip: $550
    Includes Equipment, Flies & Lunch

I think I would have a good web site and start at about $495.00 for the first year.

Taking a few veteran/celeb anglers out free would be a good idea.

I will be promoting your service because I think it is a needed operation.

I don't know if anyone else is doing that inshore guiding out of Bodego with flies?

Lots of guides work with shops by just taking some of their staff out once and a while.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........