Thread: experiences with Rio InTouch VersiTip II line?

Default experiences with Rio InTouch VersiTip II line?

I have had this product suggested to me for an upcoming trip and I was wondering if anyone here has used it in the past and what their thoughts were. I heard not such good things about the previous generation in terms of the bulkiness of loop-to-loop connections and lack of rigidity of the line around these connections when casting. But I have read that the product was much improved in this more recent generation.

At $169 I would rather not spend the money if it is garbage, but if it's decent and would save me from buying 3 lines at $89-109 each, and having to change spools all the time...

I am not familiar w/ the RIO InTouch VersiTip...HOWEVER, I do have and use the Scandi VersiTip Spey line. I agree it is pricey, BUT I do NOT have to carry multiple spools with additional lines. I can just detach the 10' tip and attach any of the other 3 as conditions change. Hope this helps.

beachbum2 (Tim)

I use the line on a 4 weight of mine. It's a stiff 4 so I uplined it, and that rod does anything for me. I throw allot of smaller poppers with it, it throws dries, can strip streamers for bass at 3 different depths, swing for steelhead at 3 different depths. Can even indicator nymph or tight line with it. It's on a relatively inexpensive rod, but it's becoming my favorite rod to fish lately because its so versatile due to the line. So I really have nothing but positive things to say about the new Versi-Tip. The heads are pretty short, so I usually just try to keep a little line out at all times to keep that connection knot out of the eyes. As for fighting fish the connection is smooth enough to where I haven't noticed interference while fighting any fish. Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by beachbum2 View Post
    I am not familiar w/ the RIO InTouch VersiTip...HOWEVER, I do have and use the Scandi VersiTip Spey line. I agree it is pricey, BUT I do NOT have to carry multiple spools with additional lines. I can just detach the 10' tip and attach any of the other 3 as conditions change. Hope this helps.

beachbum2 (Tim)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I use the line on a 4 weight of mine. It's a stiff 4 so I uplined it, and that rod does anything for me. I throw allot of smaller poppers with it, it throws dries, can strip streamers for bass at 3 different depths, swing for steelhead at 3 different depths. Can even indicator nymph or tight line with it. It's on a relatively inexpensive rod, but it's becoming my favorite rod to fish lately because its so versatile due to the line. So I really have nothing but positive things to say about the new Versi-Tip. The heads are pretty short, so I usually just try to keep a little line out at all times to keep that connection knot out of the eyes. As for fighting fish the connection is smooth enough to where I haven't noticed interference while fighting any fish. Hope this helps!
    Thank you both for the feedback. I'm still considering whether to get this or not but it seems like an improved product over previous generations.