Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pilot Peak LCT returned to the Truckee

"Just like Jim stated a few comments up....you can't restart a fishery. "
    Just another piece of water that has been ruined by the bio-idiots who are trying to play god for a paycheck."

Says the guy that loves to fish Pyramid?

Look I don't want them to bleach out the Truckee and reinstate LCTs but most of the fisheries you probably fish were restarted at some point from no trout to trout. "Bio-idiots" had a big hand in creating the recreation experiences you love. "Bio-idiots" manage the Truckee in a much more hands-on fashion than you may know.

P.S. I'm not I biologist but work with many and think that your anger is misdirected.

John, no anger, just a little sad...
    The fisheries guy I chat with made it clear several years ago.
    I'm just not a booster...
    You can't have an actual LCT fishery with dams and rainbows....
    So it seems like science, but doesn't appear to be possible, on the main stem of the T....
    I've had my say.....no hard feelings.

Jim

No need to be sad, I'll bet nothing substantive changes.

Just thought the "bio idiot" talk was a bit much and deserved a call out.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sv View Post
    No need to be sad, I'll bet nothing substantive changes.

Just thought the "bio idiot" talk was a bit much and deserved a call out.
    John that was me.
    Yes it was a bit harsh...but they need to look at the big picture and just enjoy what we have.
    They may not be idiots...just blind.

And yes I love pyramid. And that is the last place in the area they thrive and grow to their true potential.
    Places like Fallen leaf lake are not able to sustain a healthy cutthroat population.
    The mackinaw that are in the lake will never be fully eradicated. They will continue to out compete the cutthroat.
    The rainbows and browns were able to co exist with the macks. The cutthroat cannot.
    So why ruin a once great fishery to try and return it back to its native state?

Fallen Leaf has had a reproducing cutthroat population (small) for years if not forever. (the source is undetermined afaik) It was ground zero for trying to answer the "why aren't they being displaced by rainbows" question. As you said it can't sustain a healthy population as is. An acquaintance of mine that did the study did not refer to this population as healthy. He researched them through most of the 2000s before he moved on to studying giant Tamien in Lake Baikal area. Dude has what most of us would call a dream job. I remember one time he contacted me asking if I knew of a good skating pattern to mimic a duckling!

Quote Originally Posted by John Sv View Post
    Fallen Leaf has had a reproducing cutthroat population (small) for years if not forever. (the source is undetermined afaik) It was ground zero for trying to answer the "why aren't they being displaced by rainbows" question. As you said it can't sustain a healthy population as is. An acquaintance of mine that did the study did not refer to this population as healthy. He researched them through most of the 2000s before he moved on to studying giant Tamien in Lake Baikal area. Dude has what most of us would call a dream job. I remember one time he contacted me asking if I knew of a good skating pattern to mimic a duckling!

That sounds like a job we would all love so dearly.
    Very cool.