Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Summertime driving tour of Idaho/Montana/Wyoming

One place that no one has mentioned is Silver Creek (30 miles S of Sun Valley). My brother and I used to go to Idaho/Montana every year for over 25 years. We'd leave the Bay Area and stay the first night in Elko (Twin Falls if you don't mind the extra three hours of driving) and then fish Silver by the mid-afternoon of the second day. Great dry fly fishing and you have a choice of walking or float tubing. After a couple of days on Silver we'd head up to Yellowstone and hit the Henry's Fork (either Last Chance or Railroad Ranch) on the way. Once in West Yellowstone there are so many places to fish; I'd go to the local shops and get their suggestions. Then, on the way back you can again hit the Henry's Fork and Silver. As you can tell, there are just SO many options, but I thought I'd add to your confusion (LOL).

I agree with Nohackle. Some places are just special - and Silver Creek is one of those places. And Sun Valley has some amazing restaurants.

the St Joe river in northern Idaho is also a special place to catch lots of cutts.

Hit up Prune Creek campground in Wyoming, it is a good sized stream with pretty large browns and a few brookies

If I remember right, Rock Creek closes last day in June. I'm fishing that this year and the Big Black Foot. The Ruby is crowded and has restrictions for out-of-staters. Check the regs. Big Hole has plenty of White Fish, less trout last time I fished it. Sounds like a great trip and plenty of rivers to choose. BTW, St. Joes out of CDA is not bad too.

Check your information, as it is incorrect. Rock Creek closes to COMMERCIAL ( i.e. guided) float on June 30th. It is wide open for private floats and wading all year long. There are excellent wade fishing opportunities all along the river. The Microburst is a great area to start, good fishing downstream, excellent fishing upstream, with lots of braids. Check the regs for any questions. As well, the Ruby has no out-of -state restrictions, nor does any river in Montana. It all depends on where you fish the Ruby. Down in the valley near Twin Bridges, the access is pretty limited, Below the dam, more access. more fishermen. Above the reservoir, Forest Service land, plenty of access and light crowds with very good fishing. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the correction and update. You are right, I am fishing with a guide on Rock Creek and they told me the last day they could fish was end of June, of course they didn't mention it was still open to private individuals. I hear it is an amazing River. Regarding the Ruby, I fished with a guide there several times and they had limited days they could fish due to the guide permits available to float. Beautiful water, but it was a bit busy the times I floated. However, after reading some sites...there seems to be plenty of public wade -walk in access. Thanks again.

Default Awesome

Wow, more thanks to all. Now I've got even more ideas on where to go. Too bad I don't have four weeks this summer...
    Greg