Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Truckee, CA.

Thanks for the report, Jim! Thinking about heading up this weekend... hopefully conditions will stay relatively the same.

Jim, the "one and done program".... Ha ha.. i've been on that before. Sometimes if I land a nice fish I will sort of cruise and call it a day or just walk the river. I got a chuckle though.

Good report. Its a pretty big river or maybe just getting back to its normal self these days. Seems like 750-850 without a lot of ying/yang. It still kicks your ass. It did mine last week.

Fished the T on Tuesday and Wednesday and got my butt kicked! River was big and takes were few and far between. Managed to get three to the net and missed a few more, but it was tuff out there. There was a fairly large BWO hatch that came off around 2pm on Wed, and I spotted quite a few Skwalas crawling around but no risers. If you're using an indo rig don't be afraid to add some extra weight and maybe add an extra foot or two to your leader to get down. Seemed like the fish were hugging the bottom to me.

Vinny- Good accurate assessment. It's not easy. (at least hasn't been for me). But 3 to the net is nothing to be ashamed about. Its a bigger river than some of are use too. I've having to rethink some things. Hey they planted in Reno. Bring the kiddos out and get them onto some fish.

I didn't start fishing the Truckee until a few years ago, so it's like learning to fish a whole new river at these flows. Holes that used to be productive with lower flows are now unfishable and seams I used to be able to get to are now out of reach! I can't complain, in all honesty its just nice to see the Truckee healthy again.

Vinny...
    Amen!
    A big stick helps even the score...
    I've fished 25 mi. Of this river...multiplied by two sides, means 50 mi. to keep tabs on.
    If you are a member of the 300 day a year club, that means 0.16666 mi. to walk a day...
    Except that the river changes everyday.
    I think understanding rivers in general is best....and having lots of techniques, so you can fish effectively whatever water you are standing next to.
    For me on the T It's the unending mystery, and chasing big cagey fish that keeps me here..not the easy fishery.
    May the Tuffy river flow on.....
    See you on the water.....

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 03-31-2016 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfly View Post
    Vinny...
    Amen!

"For me on the T It's the unending mystery, and chasing big cagey fish that keeps me here..not the easy fishery.

Jim
    Jim----Amen indeed or shall I say "Allelujah!" (my ad in the April 2016 California Fly Fisher, page 12).

Below are the two intro paragraphs of an article I authored in the Spring 2002 NorthWest Fly Fishing magazine, entitled
    Truckee River CA...a Lesson in Patience

“If you are looking for easy fly fishing, don’t come here! California’s Truckee River is not a good choice for the dilettante. This fishery befuddles competent fly fishers. Also, self-proclaimed hotshots with high expectations gleaned from success on other swift-flowing water---I was there during my first decade of fly fishing---will be disheartened. But if one is patient and attentive, this Eastern Sierra freestone stream will begrudgingly expose its secrets.

This is not a “quick-action” freestone stream; 15-25 trout days are few, if any. However, if you are intrigued by a serious test of your talent, this venue will hone your stream craft. Being consistently successful here bodes well for your excursions on moving waters.”

Frank R. Pisciotta

Between the pelting warm rain, and the non-freezing temps, I'd say it's fully Spring.
    The snow pack seems to disappear overnight in town, and up high as well.......
    The river's up to the grass edge, and is a very pushy green/tan. Bring a staff.
    Took a walk into the canyon at these flows and couldn't cross at my usual spot......I don't use a staff..but it wouldn't have made a difference at 800 +cfs....
    That's my crossing limit at that spot.
    Always pays to check USGS flow report before you leave the house, or when you get back...for reference.
    In my experience, it's not the size of flows, as much as the flow levels being stable......fish adjust, so should you.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ca/nwis/current/?type=flow Click on the index number left of flow you want....for graphs.

The sharp-eyed forum member with me on the walk, spied a riser in an eddy less than a foot from the bank.
    A nice brown, sipping sz 20 BWOs regularly. My favorite kind.......see a fish, catch a fish...
    My buddy was on deck.....but happened to be carrying a switch rod.
    He changed out his industrial nymph rig, for a dry fly leader, and dapped his way to success. (Another reason to carry an 11fter.)
    As a side note.....there might have been a photo....(not that we needed one) if I had dumped my memory card.........Hint, Hint....
    I teach a sit-down style....a beverage helps, but if you don't take time to just look... instead of fish, you will learn slowly and miss many opportunities for fishy fun.
    So, yes the water is too big to wade in some places, but you still might fish a dry...........you won't know, if you don't go......
    Since it seems to be heading towards a short Spring...and a long Summer.....I recommend fishing sooner, rather than later.
    Should be biggish, but perfect by mid-week.....
    Maybe wear a little bit of insulation underneath waders, water is still a chilly 48+-. Air temps are nice...but always bring a light jacket up here......you never know....
    Worms are a high-flow fav....
    Local shop is out of AB size split shot....
    And soon...AAAs.
    Swing buy Keines....is my advice.
    Get some little bwos too.
    Cutters and Burks.....

Have fun out there....

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 04-11-2016 at 02:13 PM.
    Bigfly guide service helping fly fishers since 2002.
    Truckee river and Northern California waters.
    https://bigflyguideservice.wordpress.com//

For best results, fish on the fish's schedule, not yours....

BF

Its big water out right now. I concur about wading. Be careful and it aint worth it so find a bridge or stick to one side. The edges are your friend anyway. Time to perfect your upstream cast. I finally had a few small ones hook up so the little guys are starting to feed as well. This pic was from last week at about 900 CFS before the recent weather boosted flows to +1k CFS.

Have fun out there and be safe. Speaking of Kienes I think there parking lot sale is this Saturday? Anybody know for sure...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Big T.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	11849

Yes, the Expo is Saturday 10 to 4
    "...and on the eighth day God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes..."