Thread: Pyramid Edibles

Default Pyramid Edibles

Looking at all the pics of these huge dead fish on Crosby's site.......just curious......anyone ever eat these things? Or they being mounted? Or what???

Anyone ever eat the smaller ones? Are they good? Not that I'd keep any fish, just wondering.

I don't generally care for trout but Pyramid Lake Cutts are one of the tastiest fish you'll ever eat. 30 years ago I'd make it a point to bonk one "ceremonial" fish each season. That said, there is mercury throughout the Carson/Washoe basins and I would assume present at some level in Pyramid Lake. Mercury is cumulative and the older the fish the greater the concentrations. Since Pyramid Cutts can be very long lived, common sense would suggest to eat only the small guys and probably pregnant women shouldn't eat them at all. The health concerns are pure conjecture on my part.

Our old Sacramento fly club, the CFFU, use to go up there annually in the winter many decades ago.

One time old Joe Shirshac wacked a 7# Cutthroat and his wife cooked it the day after we returned

I was invite to dinner and it was very good. Something about the PH in the water?

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Weird, my post didn't post. Agree with Ralph, little ones are yummy and the big ones are not. They kinda taste like mud. DFW has been planting lots of cutts lately in the Truckee and Walker basins. Prosser Res was mobbed with them last year, among other places. Non-wild edible cutties, pan sized. Happy to help if you want info.

Hi John,

PM sent your way.