I used to think that any nipper over $3 was ridiculous. I'd buy the cheap-o nippers out of the bin at the fly shop and replace them when they dulled (about once a year). I just couldn't see the utility in spending over $100 on something to cut mono.

And then my brother gave me a pair of Hatch nips for xmas . . . I gave him the obligatory "Thanks! How did you guess!?" but in reality I was embarrassed to own them. I considered returning the nips, but since my brother has so kindly spent his hard-earned money in the hope I'd enjoy his gift, I decided to keep and use them.

I put them to use last week, and to my surprise they work really really well. I've got to say they're by far the best nips I've ever used. The blades are amazingly sharp, the eye clearing needle works great, and it's nice to have the extra weight in hand while rigging. (It's hard to explain but it there really is a difference . . . it's like the difference between a Craftsman and a Snap-On wrench . . . It just feels better . . . )

They're definitely overkill, and I'm still not sure if they're worth the money (my money that is). But if you're the type that doesn't blink at dropping $100+ on a gadget (or you have a nice brother), then I say go for it.

-MF