Thread: Local fish still hungry!

Default Local fish still hungry!

Got out for a couple hours today and fished a section of river that nobody seems to have much faith in. I however, think there's no reason for it not to hold fish... And I was right. Fished a sculpin pattern nice and deep and got rewarded with this spunky little guy. Only one fish to hand but had a few other strikes I couldn't seal the deal on. This guy had some nasty white parasite things all over it. Not sure what they were but definitely not something I'd want to take home for dinner. Any ideas what they were?

Nice pics.

Not sure what species it is, but I have seen those parasites on fish before. I think one specimen had one of them stuck on any eyeball. Very gross. Fish didn't seem to mind though.

Thanks Salmonid! They sure are nasty little bugs. Even though they don't seem to bother the fish that much, they can't be good for em. I'd like to find out what they are.

Beautiful fish! I believe that is a freshwater copepod (Lernaea carassii) commonly known as the anchor parasite.

Well done and what a beautiful wild steelhead. Looks like the growth saved its life... or maybe it was the full adipose fin. C&R all these guys. -JP
    Jeff Putnam
    JP Flyfishing Schools
    http://jpflyfishing.com

I got a comment from Jeff Putnam?!?! My life is complete!!! lol

Thanks for all the comments! This guy actually isn't a steelhead though. I pulled him from a landlocked section of river well above the barriers for it's sea-going cousins. Although it is a very beautiful specimen!