Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Report Card

Quote Originally Posted by Rick J View Post
    agree with Jason. It is a sad thing when we as fisherman want to put our needs above those of these magnificent fish we are chasing. The more information we have on wild vs. hatchery populations the better in making sound scientific based decisions on ways to best protect the wild fish. As the poster goes: KEEP THE WILD WILD!!!

Sound science my foot. Ive been in the meetings and challenged the validity of "data" they collect and manipulate to serve their predetermined viewpoint in order to push a decision they advocate and need to justify.

If you dont think I am for steelhead read here:

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthre...lers-Davis-CA&

My favorite is the wardens on the smith who believe the fly fisherman are all liners and they dont ticket the blatant belly snaggers because they are surrounded by 300 of them and they are afraid for their saftey. I've been told "fish dont bite they fly boy, fly bite the fish."

Same guy let a snagger off with a warning for a barbed hook.

I wish the money from Steelhead Cards went to Steelhead. Thats part of what I was saying.
    Last edited by Walter; 09-12-2015 at 07:58 AM.

Default Steelhead Report Cards....

Seems like a small thing to fill out the card and enter the info on-line. Before it was automated, I used to fill the card out and routinely forget to send it in until I received "the letter". I really think they should try to do something about the length of the damn thing, tho.

Nt absolutely sure but I think that one of the important bits of info DFW gets from the completed cards is catch per unit of effort (CPUE). Maybe an indicator as to how many fish are being caught during a specific period. Since there just aren't enough DFW biologists to survey every river/stream, it makes sense to try to enlist help from users....

At any rate, I always buy a card, even tho I've gone years without fishing for Salmon/Steelhead (maybe I will, again, this year) but never gave any thought to filling the card in before fishing. So, thanks for mentioning it....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I have been contacted by DWF staff on three occasions on the American while swinging. All three were in kayaks and were very pleasant...never checked my card or license...one had a conversation with me for 30 minutes...nice guy. My only other contact was with two DFG surveyors at Steelhead riffle...they walked right through the area I was fishing with a buddy...very rude. I know that every time I have fished with a guide they would not let me in the boat until my card was completed...I have also received "the letter" and just fill out the on-line card...no muss no fuss.

Of course I was rhetorically harsh with my nazi comment but Ive also had them walk right through my fishing area and then search all my stuff and then ask me about somebody else on the river who is right there across the river, all whispering if Ive seen that person do this and that. Put my saftey in jeopardy...wierd stuff. Ive cooperated with pleasant wardens. Ive also been harassed and accused of illicit behavior just because I was fly fishing. The warden calling me a lining snagger. I watch episodes about microspecs of barbs while other times blatant snagging goes unpunished because of lack of enforcement budget and many wardens dont want to live in the remote areas, ever been to the mouth of the klamath? I mean come on....

I just find it funny when little things bring the hammer down and the bigger things might not get enough attention sometimes. And it seems like the anglers are always getting the blame. It's frustrating.