Thread: Dragonfly Nymph

Default Dragonfly Nymph

I do love to fish the dragons! my nymph pattern is evolving and im pretty excited to get them wet. Its gonna be a gorgeous weekend and I hope to find some big bass cruising the warmer shallows and maybe in prespawn mode. Henry Hagg Lake has set the Oregon Smallmouth record 5 times in a row and its got a heafty population of LMB too. Its 25 minutes from my front door now.
    These are not weighted but they dont float. They should sink slowly, just heavier than neutral. Theyre also weedless.

Last edited by jbird; 04-15-2015 at 09:57 PM.

Default Dragons....

Good looking dragon flies. Woven abdomen?? I like the slow sinking idea.... Can't wait hear reports of the fishing up there.
    Last edited by Darian; 04-15-2015 at 11:14 PM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Just realized I posted the same pic twice. Corrected.

Darian the abdomen is just green yarn scribbled with a black sharpie

They look great !

D.~

Default Dragons

What size are the hooks you're using???
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Two are on a #6 gami b10s one is on a #2 tiemco bass.

The underbody I cut up an old cabelas gift card to get that flat, extended abdomen. I glued and lashed it to the hook and wrapped it with yarn. This fly is pretty bomb proof. The thorax is just peacock seal dub.
    They all have turkey wing case and two of them have turkey fiber legs. I just tied in the wing case and the fiber tips were laying forward and I split them off each side, wound forward and split another section, wound forward and split a third section. The turkey legs are my only concern of durability. But I think they'll move nicely in the water.

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

Excellent looking, easy to tie flies. Movement is #1 in my opinion. I like to use old plastic milk cartons (or similar semi-soft HDPE) for that type of extended body. It flexes a little more than the stiffer credit card. Although there is a certain ironic justice in cutting up a credit card to fish with. Well done.

Hey Doug. Yeah, I can only tie so many from one gift card. I stared at my milk jug for a long time thinking, "can I chug all that down and cut it up?" I do love milk but there was over half a gallon. Lol

Chris. That sounds cool! You could probably even form segments with some patience. The idea with using flat plastic is dragonfly nymphs have the unique characteristic of a very broad, flat abdomen. Which is what I'm trying to replicate

They look like toys

apple iphone 6s plus hülle
    Last edited by Huanns; 08-29-2015 at 06:41 PM.
    Du kannst dem Leben nicht mehr Tage geben - aber dem Tag mehr Leben hulle6