Thread: Which waders wont leak?

Default Which waders wont leak?

So I'm on my third set of waders in the last 5-6 years.... First pair was my old cabelas, followed by Simms FreeStone waders, which I got repaired once already. Now within the last year my Orvis Sonic waders are leaking.

I'm about ready to just drop the cash for a pair of guide waders, can someone verify that they are actually more durable with that fancy gortex material? I take care of my waders, never wear jeans under them or anything, not sure what the deal is but it's mostly always the seams around the ankles.

Simms G3s are as close as I've come to permanently staying dry.
    About 5 years for a run without issues.
    And that is 250+ days per. With wild roses and granite.
    Tried all the others....never went back.
    My rentals too.......
    Bigfly guide service helping fly fishers since 2002.
    Truckee river and Northern California waters.
    https://bigflyguideservice.wordpress.com//

For best results, fish on the fish's schedule, not yours....

BF

That's what I've heard, thanks for validating my thinking! I could have already bought 1 1/2 G3's with all my previous pairs.

Even though is slightly dated there is some good information in this wader shootout:
    http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gea...elas-bootfoots
    They also did fly rod and reel shootouts.

In my humble opinion... they all leak. I have tried and used them all. I fly fish about 50-60 days a year. I purchased the SIMMS G4 just 14 months ago and they are leaking just above where the booties attach. They are at the SIMMS shop now being repaired. My next waders will be the best waders I can get for $250 -$300. Regards...~magic

Quote Originally Posted by kylgrn View Post
    . . .not sure what the deal is but it's mostly always the seams around the ankles.
    If three pair of waders in a row are leaking at the foot/leg seam, it sounds like you are possibly buying waders with too short of an inseam. That sock seam is not traditionally a weak spot in well fitted waders. Because the sock is affixed to the pant, the pants can't slide up and down like normal Levis do as you bend your knee. Waders should be a bit baggy and have a longer inseam than your normal pants. They should not get tight over your thigh when taking a high step.

Also, consider the tradeoff between breathable waders and those that are so bullet proof that you'll sweat up a storm. . . even if they are Gore-Tex. I've been more than pleased with my G-3's. They are amazingly comfortable and durable, and when they do leak, are simple to repair at home. I fish a lot and am not known for being kind to equipment and still get years out of them.

The biggest threat to wader lifespan are not punctures and blown seams, but mildew. Any moisture trapped inside a pair of breathable waders will host mildew that can easily spread between the laminants and seriously reduce the lifespan of the waders. If you can see grey flecks or patches of grey inside your waders, you already have an advanced case of mildew. I automatically turn mine inside out every time I take them off.

I am in agreement with Ralph that it is an unusual place for a leak. Remember that Orvis has a very good warranty so I recommend giving them a call and explain the problem.

Over 40 years, Ive never had a pair, no matter what the price, that lasted much more than three years, and only the cheapest lasted less than that. I've been impressed with the Redington Sonic Welds that I have now, although I'm closer to 60 days a year than 250.

There are a couple guys I've fished with that spend a lot of time busting brush on the Pit, and they actually buy oversized jeans that they wear over there waders. Great blackberry protection, and extra pockets...

I have the same Orvis waders. They leaked at the crotch, and I sent them back. Orvis sent me a new set free. They've improved the design and this last set of waders has lasted about 20 or so outings without a leak.

Try Patagonia.

I scored some off of steepandcheap a three years ago and they have not failed me yet. I have hike miles with them through manzanita and other bushes rubbing against them and have had no issues.

They also have a great warrenty as long as you don't impale them with blackberry bushes or a hook.