Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Single hand rod conversion & Micro spey line

So I just went for it this morning. It turned out good, in th future there are a few things I would do to clean up the appearance. I ended up threading in a piece of 1/4 threaded steel, and jb welded it in place. Then once the extention rod was secure I added some sports tape on the two ends of the rod so it would center the cork. Then added jb weld inside the cork to keep it in place. Should hold, but next time I would like to order a trim piece to make the cork look flush.

Ordered a line that I'm going to cut down to size, backing and 20lb running line. We'll see what happens when I put it all together! I'll probably have the line in by next weekend. I may test it out next weekend at thw Feather, or the weekend after. I'll let ya'll know how it works out!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	10250Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	10251

Looks good! Gary Anderson of ACR rods used to have a telescoping lower butt section he had manufactured. You twist the butt and pull down then twist again and it locks in place, now you can cast 2 handed.

Great RIO video Rick! I may buy a heat gun from harbor freight and give it another shot. I think my other issue is I need to also find clear shrink tubing, my local hardware store had only Black. I used a torch and scorched the line because I couldn't tell if it had melted yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kranhold View Post
    Looks good! Gary Anderson of ACR rods used to have a telescoping lower butt section he had manufactured. You twist the butt and pull down then twist again and it locks in place, now you can cast 2 handed.
    I thought of making a threaded adapter to glue the cork too, so I could just thread it onto the end when I needed it, but I couldn't think of a good way to keep it from twisting off. Plus the end cap was hallow, I didn't want the leverage of the second handle to crack break off the thin threaded tubing.

OK, so I never posted the conclusion to this rod build or modification. Here is what ended up happening, steelhead season came around and this rod sat. I was experimenting with welding lines and then put it all away as steelhead season came into full swing . So the other day I took this rod out and picked up where I left off. I finally decided that I would be cutting down a line to get the weight I wanted.

I cut down a 435 Scandi 32ft line into two new lines. A skagit with the but section measuring 13 ft and weighing in at about 250 grains, and a mini scandi weighing in at about 170 grains in 19 ft.

Instead of welding the lines, I learned that you can double them over and thread wrap them and epoxy the thread. Holds very well and you can color coat your lines. Only disadvantage is that they are tough to fit though the rod guides.

The video link is of some casting, first time out with the rod. Setup is the 9 ft converted 5wt, 13 ft skagit and ten ft of type 3 polyleader, 3ft of 10lb maxima and a cone head zonker. Caught 2, lost 2 more. I have found my off season getaway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmSn...ature=youtu.be

Thanks for updating us.

Oh, nice touch with the YouTube categorization. Looks pretty good to me, actually.