Thread: Almond fields forever...

Default Almond fields forever...

I think they might use less water than row crops like alfalfa or tomatoes?

Yolo County is seeing a big spike in nut orchards planted. Here is one. Video taken on a drive today.

Best,

Default Almonds....

Almonds are the largest crop (by volume) grown in the central valley. The demand for them is huge both overseas and here. Even so, I saw a good sized orchard in the process of being ripped up (dead trees) along the west side of I5 in the southern San Joaquin today. On the east side of I5, a newly planted orchard.

I've been told that all Almond orchards are using drip irrigation systems down there, now. Hope that's true. Most of the orchards down there aren't on level land. That rules out flood irrigation.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Yep, D.

Same up this way, drip irrigation seems to be the norm. I read recently that CA alfalfa production peaked last year because almond orchards are going in now.

Default Newer Nut Orchards....

Read something in the SacBee, recently, that seems to change the perception that orchards of nut trees use less water than seasonal crops because they use drip irrigation systems. While it's true that individual trees may not use as much water thru drip irrigation, the number of trees in a particular orchard will result in an increase in water usage overall. For example, the Bee cited long time growers planted 70 trees per acre allowing space for growth. Newer plantings have been at the rate of 120 trees per acre, nearly doubling the demand for water compared to long time growers.

As I travel between here and SoCal, frequently, I've noticed some orchards being pulled down while others are newly planted. Wonder how many of the older orchards (70 per acre) were replanted at the newer rate (120 per acre)????

ps. A side issue to this is that in order to plant at the higher rate, what little habitat (hedgerows, etc.) left before planting will probably disappear in this rush to maximize profits.
    Last edited by Darian; 03-17-2015 at 10:07 PM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I suspected trees used lots of water, perhaps more than row crops!

The low water consumption claimed by orchards is probably based on the average sized tree (and based on the 70 trees/acre). Some of those BIG trees in mature orchards must take more water than newly planted trees...

Anyway, interesting that the new number of trees is 120/acre. Based on my observations, I would have thought many more than that. I will pull over tomorrow and get some measurements for the fresh sticks in the ground.

ps. the trees in that video sprouted leaves in the past 1-2 weeks.

Default Math...

Trees in this field were planted 2-3 years ago I think?

They are planted 16' on center according to my measurement, so 13 trees x 13 trees in an acre = 169 trees/acre. Plus a few more on two of the edges.

Not sure what kind of tree it is though... I figured most new orchards are almond. I'll drive the other way next time and get a measurement on the ones planted in the past few months.

Default Over Crowding....???

Amazing,.... 169 trees per acre. I noticed the drip irrigation system hoses. Doesn't appear to be a true drip. I was told by a grower that these hoses fan-spray water rather than drip but it's still better than flood or standard irrigation practices.

Incidentally, one of the concerns that came up at the Corps meeting was the infiltration of phosphates into groundwater along the Sacramento watershed. The corp said that they have no control over that issue. However, some of the state reps in the room do but were being very quiet at the time.

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    I was told by a grower that these hoses fan-spray water rather than drip but it's still better than flood or standard irrigation practices.
    Not sure about the irrigation in the field in my pic. Others around Yolo Co. are indeed spraying water UP instead of dripping. Seems better than flooding though, and I see workers cruising around the orchards on ATVs while they are irrigating. Perhaps it is easier to find defective nozzles if they are spraying UP?

ps. About hedgerows/field margin habitat.

I don't think there is much of it in row crop cultivation or orchards. There is usually a dirt area next to the road and then the cultivated land. Not any significant habitat to speak of unless the field borders a slough or seasonal creek (at least in my area).

Best,
    Last edited by SeanO; 03-19-2015 at 09:14 PM.