Thread: Lower Truckee streamer fishing ideas

Default Lower Truckee streamer fishing ideas

Hoping to fish the Truckee East of Reno for the first time this weekend and throw streamers on foot. Any advice on decent access points - I've been checking into a few of the TNC restoration areas. thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Chazbowski View Post
    Hoping to fish the Truckee East of Reno for the first time this weekend and throw streamers on foot. Any advice on decent access points - I've been checking into a few of the TNC restoration areas. thanks!
    Was out there today. River is fishing well and flows are good (for now). Water is warming up so fish are chasing a bit. Also some risers so bring some Baetis. East of Reno has so many access points. (Lockwood, Mustang, Patrick, USA Parkway). Take your pick. Skwalla Stones and March Browns are starting to show as well. Good luck.

cdevine summed it up nicely.......I'd carry at least two rods.......so you can drop your streamer rod and target a riser if you see one.

Quote Originally Posted by NVTrout View Post
    cdevine summed it up nicely.......I'd carry at least two rods.......so you can drop your streamer rod and target a riser if you see one.
    NVtrout- Thx. I always carry 2 rods although I need to put a yellow ribbon or something on the one that sits on bank because I've nearly lost it many times. Amazing where your mind goes.

Good luck out there. You should have a nice day. The river is fishing like it should in April or May. (not march) But what is "normal" these days.

ha! I routinely carry 3 rods....one dry, one nymph, and one streamer.....It's a bit of a hassle, but being able to cover the water without changing over setups is worth it, imo.

Chaz, I believe theres less fish out east due to multiple consecutive low water years.....That said, there are still plenty of healthy fish out there. Its not easy water, but can be very rewarding. Throw you streamer in the all fishy looking places, and keep your eyes peeled. Most of the risers you see will be smaller, but chunky bows......occasionally you'll see a tank rising....you'll get one chance at the big ones so make it count.....take a look at the emerging bwo's......the nymphs are black with a pronounced wing pad.....Fish will move up into opportunistic lanes, sometimes shallow water, when the bwo's are poppin.