Thread: Skunked...

Default Skunked...

With a break in the weather, wind & rain, and only a 20% chance of thunderstorms I decided to hit the lake, Davis, yesterday (9-26-14). The outside temp at 5:30am was 34 degrees with a heavy layer of fog covering the ground. The lake looked good, heavy overcast, flat water with surface water temps in the 60 / 61 degree range. Hoping for one of those stellar fall days with fish heads in every direction we put in. Jenkins had 6 or 7 cars parked along the shore, must have been a fly fishing club. There were two boats anchored & fishing each side of the cove and a number of tubes in all directions. I didn't see any fish coming up but that was okay with me as I was headed elsewhere.

As I pulled into my cove looking for working fish...nothing to be found. But that was okay, the fall bite had to be on. I knew the minute I got my fly into the water I'd get that grab and be into hungry fish. An hour or so later with still no working fish or even the hint of a take and darkening sky's, that 20% chance of thunderstorms seemed to be increasing, I decided to call it a day. As much as I love fishing and being aware that fishing during storms can be very productive, yes I've done it more than once, in my senior years I've become a bit more cautious. When I got back to the ramp, Camp Five, they were in the process of pulling the pier apart in preparation for winter, fortunately I was able to get my boat out before the ramp became unusable.

I talked with one other angler whom I knew knew the lake. He had the same experience, nothing. A bit disappointed knowing it would be four or five days before I'd be able to get out again I took off. Driving home hoping I'd be able to get my boat in the garage before the down pour started I thought to myself it's days like today that make you truly appreciate those other days when you can do no wrong. I'll take the off time to tie up a couple more flies, plan my next outing, stoke the fireplace...keeping in mind winter is just around the corner and to try and focus on getting the absolute most out of fall before she arrives.

Sonny, the black lab, ran ahead to make sure there were no gophers or jackrabbits in the way. If you don't give a dog a specific job, he'll improvise one for himself and it will invariably be fun. There's a lesson there.
    John Gierach

A friend and I fished Fairview @ Davis in tubes yesterday for a couple hours in the morning and never had a grab. However the water temp was 56 degrees as opposed to the 62 I registered the day before at a different location on the lake (Coot Bay). -6 degrees would slow the fishing down till the fish adjust. I caught a small 9 inch RB friday, and my friend broke off a nice one wading in Coot bay. There was a nice Callibaetis hatch going off around 2 - 4 PM on Friday. Another fly fisherman I spoke to briefly at Fairview as we were departing also described his and also his 2 friend's progress as slow. Maybe he did well that afternoon.

Friday was our best say out of the weekend. Found them subsurface then ended the day with a bunch on ry flies.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>