Thread: Colorado???

Default Colorado???

For my 40th and my brother's 50th birthday, we are going to Colorado next Summer for a fly fishing trip. There is so much water that I don't even know where to start. I love researching, but it is overwhelming. If anyone has recommendations for a home base or waters that are epic, please let me know.

Look up Phipps La Garita Ranch. It is between Durango and South Fork. You have a mile and half or better of the Rio Grand running through property probably 200 yds from the highway. There a couple of ponds that you can fish in the evening with dries. The water that runs up through the property, Bellows Creek is an enhanced system. The down side is the cabins are for seven days.

Based on Colorado's property rights with rivers, the access is limited to folks staying there or paying a daily trespass fee. The road between Pagosa Springs and South Folk affords you access to some real nice fishing. Get a cabin and access to the waters on the property. The Rio between South Folk and Creede is accessible as well. There is plenty of BLM land East of Highway 160 towards Alamosa. If you are interested, I can put you in touch with someone that has fished the area, both sleeping on the ground and renting cabins. Can't find my notes at the moment, otherwise, you would have it now.

We were there last summer and did not see many folks in the area. I am referring to traffic on the major roads. Of course they had a major fire, but it was mainly high country in the mountains. You'll be fairly close to the continental divide. You might consider bringing a spare tire. The fishing is epic. The downside is it is a considerable drive to get there. On the first leg, we drove to Flagstaff to pick up our son on the 4th of July, then to Durango by way of Mesa Verde, before hitting the Creede area. Next time, we'll stop in Pagosa Springs or farther towards South Fork.

Phipps La Garita Ranch gets folks primarily from Oklahoma and Texas that don't know how to fish, much less cast. They show up to get away from the heat. You'll have the property to yourself. The property encompasses almost 2000 acres of a drainage. The further up the drainage, the more wild the fish. We saw elk in the evening from our cabin. Our son hiked with a couple of older ladies that spent their summers there as staff in their youth on the property when it was a private lodge. The property was up for sale, but it is under conservancy, so no enhancements or expansion can be made to the property. This is the primary issue with selling the property. Again, the distance is a real issue. There is plenty of good water between here and there. That said, I enjoyed my time there.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by gitt; 07-14-2014 at 08:42 PM. Reason: added some stuff

Mike O Guest

Are you planning to go to only one spot and trip from there, or do you want to fish multiple spots? Saying you are going to Colorado to fish is like saying you want to fish "the Sierras", many places that are wonderful spots.

6 of us just returned from a week in and around Durango. Great town and great fishing. Sadly the Animas was a bit high, but we found plenty of productive water. Took a day trip to the San Juan river below the dam in NM (about 35 miles SW from Durango) and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Wifey and I are headed back to the Gunnison/Arkansas for 2 weeks mid-Sept.

Hi Mike O. That is the thing....we know nothing about Colorado. I guess I want someone to tell me to stay in a certain town and hit certain streams, rivers or lakes. We would like to stay within 2 hours of Denver and we like remote spots and don't mind a hike. Any wonderful spots you think we should pay attention to, please let me know.

Thank you for everyone's help.

Mik,
    Sent you a PM.
    Larry S