Thread: Bassin' Time....

Smile Bassin' Time....

If you have a copy of the May/June (2014) issue of Northwest Fly Fishing, check out the "In the Vice" section on page 78 for a weedless frog pattern; the Endangered Frog. The article includes step by step instructions on how to tie the frog. The pattern description looked so easy, I tied up a couple and found that if you're not in a hurry, you can do one in about 15 minutes. This frog is intended to fish in the slop like KD's Mat Rat (my personal favorite). This pattern answers the problem of making a fly that looks like a frog, casts easily, lands right side up or rights itself on landing and can use single or double hooks. The pattern can be easily down or upsized. The pattern depicted in the magazine is a single hook model, using a size 2 hook. Also, it's made up of entirely synthetic materials. If you tie it using natural materials, it appears to get a bit soggy but that shouldn't affect anything. Check it out on the author's blog at:

http://www.kevinpriceflyfishing.com/

Scroll down to see a double hook version. If tied using synthetics, as suggested by the author, the bug looks indestructible. I've not tested my version, yet, but when dropped into water, it rights itself very quickly. I can't wait to get it wet....
    Last edited by Darian; 06-28-2014 at 02:22 PM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown