Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Confessions of a bird nerd

Jay your shots are amazing. What exactly is your set up? You mentioned your shooting distance is 12 to 18 inches and you're behind a blind with the feeder on just the other side of the window. Are you shooting from a tripod? Do you have a hole cut for just the lens? Are you doing a pre focus? Whatever you're doing, you're sure doing it right. Beautiful shots.

Pete
    FeatherRiverSam
    Sonny, the black lab, ran ahead to make sure there were no gophers or jackrabbits in the way. If you don't give a dog a specific job, he'll improvise one for himself and it will invariably be fun. There's a lesson there.
    John Gierach

Thanks Pete!

I hang black fabric in the window. The fabric has two holes, one for my lens and another just above it for me to see out. The camera is on a tripod and I also use a remote shutter release. I find I get a bit sharper images with the remote. I usually use auto focus cause the birds are hopping around here and there. Sometimes I will set a pre focus if I want a flight shot. I will manually focus the lens a few inches beyond the perch and I'll shoot continuous while a bird comes in and if I'm lucky, I'll get something when it flies thru the plane of focus.

Quote Originally Posted by FRSam View Post
    Jay your shots are amazing. What exactly is your set up? You mentioned your shooting distance is 12 to 18 inches and you're behind a blind with the feeder on just the other side of the window. Are you shooting from a tripod? Do you have a hole cut for just the lens? Are you doing a pre focus? Whatever you're doing, you're sure doing it right. Beautiful shots.

Pete
    FeatherRiverSam

Default Nice to see you back at the Camera!

Really great shots of the birds... Outstanding bokeh from your lens or lenses!
    Again, envy is upon me!

Mike