Thread: Oregon Fishing

Default Oregon Fishing

Hi All,
    My ladyfriend and I are planning a 12 day road trip up to Portland and back (to SF) starting next week. Only major stopping points we have on the intinerary right now are Crater Lake, Bend, and Portland. Plan on stopping on the upper Sac on the way out, but otherwise have an open dance card. In general I think we may go up the east side of the cascades on the way up (hwy 97) and west side (I5) on the way down, but are also looking to get off the beaten track. I think some of the passes still might be closed, as well as the rim roads around Crater Lake, but we've got the time off now. Does anybody have any advice on places to stop for fishing, sightseeing, hiking, camping on the way? We'll have a couple of float tubes, but it'd be nice to do some stream fishing that isn't too hairy and can get my girlfriend into some fish. I've been slowly getting her into fly fishing and hope this trip can push her over the precipice into full blown addiction. For lodging, we plan on doing a combo of tent camping and hotels depending on the weather. Thanks in advance.

-Carl

I can't say that I've done a lot of lake fishing in Oregon, but in the vicinity of Bend I've fished the Metolious River, which can be really good at times, plus it has very easy access, and the Crooked River near Prineville. It is also simple to get to the water on the Crooked, the tailwater section below the dam, south of Prineville, is best. Both streams have lots of places to camp right along the river. Along the I5 corridor is the Rouge River, which has TONS of places that you can wet a line, but be sure to check the regs when you buy your license because there are a lot of nuances and details on that piece of water. These are just a few of the more obvious places to fish in the areas you are going. Post a report when you get back, please!
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/

You might spend two days on the Upper Sac.....it could be on fire.

Check with the Ted Fay Fly Shop.

You could try the Holy Water on the upper Rogue River which might be having it's famous salmon fly hatch.

Like FG said, the Metolius River should be having the Green Drake hatch now.

I think there are some trout in the upper North Umpqua River?

Good fly shops in Bend and near the Metolius too. Fort Sherman?

They could steer you to a good lake for float tubing in central Oregon.

Coming down the Oregon Coast is a change to catch a Sea run Cutthroat trout in the tide water of those small rivers.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Oregon is a great place to visit. Not sure about conditions this early in the year. Diamond lake just north of Crater is a great float tube lake. Just north of that is Lemolo Res. Cold water and nice browns. Haven't tried it yet but this year will be trying for Small mouth bass on the Umpqua. Fish Lake north of Klamath is pretty and a lot of fish. The rivers are all great. A paradise. Like I said though, I haven't been in the spring, always fall.

Mike

The McKenzie outside of Springfield, OR has Redsides and a few summer run steelies now as well.

Enjoy your trip,