Thread: Stanislaus - Where did the fish go?

Unhappy Stanislaus - Where did the fish go?

I fished the Stan last weekend below dam/Knights Ferry and only got ONE hit all day and it was small guy. The fish have disappeared...my buddy fished it this week and only a few hits. We saw some dead Salmon on the banks and in the river. I know they have done a lot of restoration work on the river and put a lot of gravel in the runs...Just can't find the fish anymore. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

In many draineges Steelhead might be still holding down river waiting for rain?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

The lower Stan doesn't get a very big run of steelhead. Like the Yuba I would consider most of the fish trout. My theory on the slow fishing is that all those small fish in the 8-12 inch range have been poached. I talked to the warden and he said his territory like all wardens these days is very very large. The only good thing I see is that the few fish left are the big smart fish. Try some small black fiies in sizes 20-24. Midges, bwos and black rs-2s.

Agreed cyama, same thing for the Tuolumne below La Grange, heavily poached and depleted.

-Tony

It's definitely quality vs quantity on the Stan and the Moke. My trips lately have only put between 4 and 6 fish to the boat. However the smallest fish has been 14" and the largest 21". As for the poaching I couldn't agree more, it's a real shame.

Chris