Thread: Painted beads?

Default Painted beads?

Does anyone on this board, or in CA, OR or WA are paint beads for trout? I'm curious to look at variations. Thanks.

What?
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Hey Alaskanfish,
    Our guide on the Kenai only painted the beads with a light coating of milky white nail polish. He believed that had a factor in hookup, but personally I didn't notice much difference between a painted bead or a nonpainted one. I think up there size is more of a factor than detailed color. Looking at the eggs the dollies were coughing up there was a large spread in color, but size was consistent.
    Plus there are a ridiculous amount of colors/variations available through trout bead vendors.
    As a side note, just be careful if you are fishing beads on certain waters up there. Some rivers classify them as a lure such as the Russian, but you can still fish a glowbug.
    Dunno if that helps.
    -Paul

Default Painted Beads????

Not sure but I think I understand your question just not whether you mean to limit the area to Alaska....

At any rate, I believe Paul has the right slant on this. The size of the eggs/beads is important. Then the color....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Thanks guys. My question was in regards to the NW areas besides Alaska. I am interested different variations and so on... Ed

Hey Ed,
    Bead wise here I have not noticed any difference painted or not.
    A good site as an example of whats out there for variety sake is www.troutbeads.com
    It will give you a good idea of the ridiculous amount of colors/variations that are out there without modification on the anglers part.
    -Paul