Thread: fly paint touch-up?

Default fly paint touch-up?

Do you have any recommendations and tips on how to touch up a firetiger poledancer? For some reason, the paint on the head peels off after a few casts and get progressively worse especially after a couple of hits from some fish. See attached pic.
    I'd like to re-paint and finish it with something that will hopefully last longer.

Thanks for the help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (2).jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	8035

Default Hard Foam....

Looks like the surface of the hard foam used in creating the head is too shiny or slick (for whatever reason). It's been my experience in painting hard foam that paint won't stick unless the surface is roughed up a bit or something like rubbing alcohol is used to clean the surface if it's been handled (oils from your fingers/hand). If you choose to rough it up, use an emory board to do it lightly (you're not trying to make the head smaller).

You might try dipping the head in a primer before painting it. Not sure what type paint you're using but a good model aircraft dope/paint such as Aeroglass or a vinyl lure paint will hold. Caution, vinyl lure paint stinks for along time after painting. If I use that stuff I usually leave the bug on a drying rack for a month.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Thanks for all the good info Darian! This gives me a very good starting point.
    Worst case, I'll end up with an unpainted white foam head. I don't think the fish will mind.

Question Popper Paint....

Some additional info for you at Jann's Netcraft website. They sometimes have popper paint on sale. Google the name of the store.

Another option is the Copic airbrush system. This system uses Copic indelible ink markers placed in a holder that connects to a can of air or a mini-compressor. It's a bit more expensive than the other systems but if you're going to get into painting poppers, it might be right up your alley. Yu can check it out on-line, as well. Hard to locate locally, tho.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown