Thread: Another rod question

Default Another rod question

Going through my fly rods last night and found I have another fenwick. This one is an eagle glc. Ef 866 8-1/2' 6wt. Wanted to know any info about this rod. What it would be good for,what line to use with it?.

Good for catchin' Fishes , that's what it's good for -

Years ago , my Wife bought me the 7 wt. version of that one . I didn't like it at all (waaaaaay too soft for my taste at the time ....) ,but since She had given me this gift , I had to use it . I landed hundreds of Bass , a 40+ Lb. Striper on an 8 Lb. tippet , too many other species to remember . Go with the rated line , as over-lining that series doesn't work for squat .

Use what you've got , the Fish won't care !!

D.~

For most modern casters used to graphite, you might want to try out downlining 1 size with that glass rod.

-edit thought that one was a glassy, if its graphite and stiff probably stick to its slated line weight or upline it one. Thanks for the insight below Bill!
    Last edited by Dan LeCount; 08-01-2013 at 08:19 AM.
    My little fishing/fly tying blog- http://rustyhooks.wordpress.com/

Back in the 1970s this was the low end graphite series for the Fenwick company. They used this model and size for their famous fly fishing shcools all over the US. They put a WF7F SA Supreme on it for the classes so the students could feel the rods load up.

It would be good for throwing streamers, light Steelheading and especially bass fishing with a Rio Outbound Short WF6F.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........