Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Whats your vise, and do you like it?

I've given several away, so I'm down to four, but I will likely be getting a Norvise later this year.

Any one of these is all a sane person would need:

1) Law
    2) JVise Damasteel
    3) Dyna-King Ron Abbey Signature (modified)
    4) HMH Spartan
    Don Gustafson

Is being a sane person something I should aspire to? What is the fun in that? )

Griffin was my first vise. Upgraded to a little Dyna King maybe 10-15 years ago, Used a Regal commercially for a few years. I love my Dyna King, but I might try out a Regal again now that they're making their jaws out of stronger metal. They're just so efficient.

I started out on a cheap Thompson, when I was 16, then progressed to a Regal, I loved that vise until I was introduced to the awesomeness of a rotary vise. After tying on my buddy, Jeff Putnam's, DynaKing Barracuda vise I was sold on paying the extra money for a premium vise. I have been tying on my Barracuda for quit a while now, roughly 10 years. I am still happy with it except for the grooves in the jaw. The grooves really help hold larger saltwater hooks, but are just too big for most trout streamer hooks (#8&10). Other than the "groove" issue I love my DynaKing Barracuda. Rotary vises are so much better than traditional non-rotary. If you haven't tied on a rotary vise you need to give one a try, then you'll know why.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Default Ouch, don't do that!

Quote Originally Posted by TPO View Post
    I started tying about 25 years ago on a cheap Regal knock-off. It was a solid vice. Five years ago or so I upgraded to a Regal. Two years ago I bought a Renzetti Traveler because the Regal was not ideal for small flies (size 16/18 and less). I like both these vices and use the Regal for bass and saltwater flies and the Renzetti for most of my trout flies. The Renzetti seems a little flimsy, the Regal is rock solid. I love the way the Renzetti holds a hook though, much better than I expected before I bought it, and probable better than the Regal. I have to get a large hook perfectly in the groove in the jaws of the Regal to make sure it doesn't slip on me, but when its there you can really put some pressure on it when spinning and packing deer hair. I've come to like the true rotary feature of the Renzetti. Both are still in use but I now use the Renzetti more often.

Tom
    My reaction to the above phrase, in bold, would be "ouch, don't do that". From personal experience of a perfectly-seated slipped hook on a Regal (pulling a 1/0 nickel plated barbed hook to the bone of my left index finger, emergency room, surgeon, $100 co-pay), I now hold the shank of the hook when putting significant wrapping pressure with this vice.
    Last edited by amoeba; 03-12-2013 at 11:23 AM.

Dyna-King Ultimate Indexer for home, Renzetti Traveler for the road.

Like them both.

Peak rotary...... it's American Made!!!