Thread: Lower Yuba River above Hwy 20 opens December 1, 2012?

Default Lower Yuba River above Hwy 20 opens December 1, 2012?

Someone was just talking about being excited about this opener of that area that has been closed for salmon spawning.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Yes, here is what the DFG regulations states: "Dec. 1 through Aug. 31. Only artificial lures with barbless hooks may be used."

Ya... Its going to be great. Two fly fishing clubs have outings scheduled that Saturday above the bridge.
    Grizzly peak and mission peak.
    Looks like 60 people total have signed up on their rosters.
    The mosh-pits going to be tight especially if the storm that's forecasted comes in...

Are you saying that there will be 60 people at the UC property? That means there will be about 120 people from the bridge all the way up to the narrows... I am just glad I got a good Yuba fix this weekend. The guides were eating turkey and the fish were eating soft hackles!!

I have never had the slightest inclination to join (or even be near) mob fishouts. Crowded tailgate parties yes, fly fishing, no.

WxUnderground is predicting ELEVEN inches of rain in NV City by Saturday night. Even If I don't get your style of fishing, enjoy!
    Last edited by Ralph; 11-26-2012 at 09:56 AM.

Question Crowds n' Rain....

Good Golly Miss Molly!!!.... First the crowd and then eleven inches of rain over a couple of days??? I'm gonna go build an ark!!!
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Based on the NOAA river forecast, the Yuba should be running over 8,000 cfs by Saturday. I hope the crowd brings plenty of scotch and a deck of cards...

http://www.cnrfc.noaa.gov/graphicalRVF.php?id=MRYC1

I was down on the Lower Yuba and took some photos above and below the Parks Bar Bridge. The river at 4:00 this afternoon was running at 15,000 cfs according to CDEC. It's big and muddy. You can check out the photos on the Fly Fishing Traditions Blog. http://flyfishingtraditions.blogspot.com/

I think the best advise is to wait a few days and let the river settle down.

I just checked the CDEC flows at Parks Bar Bridge and the Lower Yuba is pumping at 34,890 cfs at 2:00 pm on 12/02/12. It was at 13,000 +/- at 7:00 this morning. Every creek in the Yuba Drainage must just be pumping. Hopefully it will settle down soon. The rain has lessened here in Grass Valley. Time will tell. Deer Creek in Nevada City was raging this morning too,

Ralph and all, The Delta Fly Fishers were scheduled for Saturday, December 1st at the U.C. Davis property. No other anglers there.We had 19 members signed up. It's only one club at a time and usually our members spend about half the time on the water and the other half at the coffee station. We're rescheduled for January 5th but with the heavy flows, I wonder how many fish will be around. It looked like at least half of them probably ended up below the Daguerre Dam. At least those that lived through the torrent.
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com