Thread: Yuba River Photo Report

Default Yuba River Photo Report

Blane (giantsfan) and I enjoyed a late float from Hwy 20 down to the gun club on the Yuba today. Thankfully we added a few more "notches" to his new Clackacraft drift boat.

The weather was cloudy and pleasant:

Today started off with this egg-hungry little guy:

Later on in the day, after Blane pointed out some redds by some brush and skillfully positioned his new drift boat I landed this nicely spotted Yuba rainbow on an egg immitation:

Throughout the day we saw trout causing a commotion with splashy rises. Instead of constantly fishing eggs Blane and I experimented with many different flies until we found a few dries that got some attention and a few nymphs that produced some brags and a few fish. Here is Blane pursuing one of those pesky splashers:

Although this time the splashy trout got the better of Blane, as many eluded me today, Blane caught fish in my "dirty water" showing me that I still have much to learn about indicator nymphing.

I did find a few fish that liked my olive Fox's Poopah on the swing. We both rose fish with dries, although few were hooked with dries. The fish seemed to be very eager to eat eggs but we both had fun trying to solve how to catch the splashy trout.

Unfortunately I did not get any pictures of Blane's fish because when you fish the Yuba as much as Blane the regular sized fish become less important and less picture-worthy
    Blane's experience and comfort drifting down the river is very apparent when he is at the oars:

Fishing with Blane is just like being guided. He is very knowledgeable, and he genuinely enjoys putting other fishermen onto fish. Thankfully we have fun fishing together and I get to benefit from Blane's experience, hospitality, and personality. He even brought some tasty suds:

Today was a bunch of fun. We caught some fish, had fun and enjoyed the beautiful scenery:

Time on the water with a fishing buddy is just what the doctor ordered.
    Last edited by Adam Grace; 10-13-2012 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Re-posted color adjusted pictures
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Awesome shots buddy.

What a way to go......cool..........great photos.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Beautiful Adam. Great report and your excellent photography really makes it sweet

Thanks guys, but WOW all of my DSLR shots look so warm online. I will color corrected them, then re-post them.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Adam: Excellent report and pictures. The picture of the second rainbow is stunning!
    Gordon Langenbeck
    Grants Pass, OR