Hi folks, was in Dunsmuir yesterday got the latest updates on the rivers and are as follows:

McCloud is open in the upper portion above the reservoir as was unaffected by the fire...below the reservoir is closed INDEFINITELY meaning the Forest Service will not open until have the roads repaired into Ah-Di-Na and if you didn't know the fire burned into Ash Camp and they used the river as the fire line at ADN down to the preserve and cut down trees along the river as was needed...the cabin on the preserve was hit with retardant so has a new paint job....if there is any rain the river will color up in no time from all the heavy equipment damage...in fact they will cut large water bars in the road to stop erosion and it may not be passable as in the past until smoothed out..need to check with Ted Fay Fly shop for updates if planning on coming up....there are pictures on line if just do a search.

Upper Sac fishing pretty well with some larger fish when you get into them and the cooler weather will help the afternoon bite but is slower at this point...few October caddis around but need more cold and wet weather to really get them going...with this weather pattern the river should fish well into Thanksgiving or until we get enough rain to make changes.

Pit river is fishing well in Pit 3, Pit3 down to Pit 4 road is being paved and is closed from 7am-7pm, I believe will be open on Columbus day, but could be passable just depends on the work, Pit 5 is fishing but crossing is challenging from the size with the new flows and the backroad from McC is still closed from the fire...I can workout a spot to get into the water somewhere on it if you want to come up.

Email me if have any interest in being guided on these rivers and will search the best location for you.

Also I am doing some commercial/custom fly tying so if have any particular fly want let me know and will give you a quote...Stay well and be safe out there..hook some fish...Charlie.

G.Charles Costner

flyfishnvet@sbcglobal.net