Thread: Camping or rooms on the Lower Smith River?

Default Camping or rooms on the Lower Smith River?

A friend is going to meet up with some famil & friends on the Smith River this fall and was wondering about places to rent or camp?

Thanks for any help......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Cool Smith River Lodging....

It's been a while since I was up there but camping in Jedediah Smith State Park is available. Located on the North Bank of the Smith just below the forks. If not camping, there's the venerable Ship Ashore resort near the mouth of the river. Upstream from the forks is a lodge (Patrick Creek Lodge) and there're any number of motels, etc. in the Crescent City area. You can, also, cross the border and find some places in Brookings at the mouth of the Chetco River and a campground or two along the way.

Of course, Crescent city has changed a lot since the last time I was up there. The prison created a whole new population explosion up there.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default Whales Head Resort

Myself and friends started the same way at Jediah Smith campground and then went to the ship. Later found Whales head resort up in Brookings and by far the best. You have all the amenities needed and actually comes out cheaper than hotels. Give it a look.

Tight Lines,
    Erik

Default El Cheapo.....

But I have always had great luck at the Super 8 in Crescent City as close to the beach and Marina (Seafood restaurants) and with rates like $45 a night. Nothing spectacular but do you really need anything more than a clean room with a comfortable after fishing for 10 hours? Safe and never had any problems.
    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity

But I know none, and therefore am no beast

-William Shakespeare

My wife and I have been using VRBO...Vacation Rentals by Owner. We've stayed at three delightful houses along the Smith the last couple of years we got in touch with that way.