Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Rattlesnakes

Exclamation WOW

This thread kinda got outta control.... Lets see if I give it a slightly better twist.

If I recall correctly, The Rattlers use of infra-red vision to locate a heat signature to target for food contributed, at least in theory, to the development of the heat seeking targeting system in air to air and surface to air guided missle systems.

And, taking it out a bit further, "Predator" probably observed this and adopted it for its own weapons system. Of course, "the Schwartz" covered himself in mud to avoid detection. Maybe that's what we all should keep in mind when in the back country....

Damn snakes, anyway....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Cool Predator vs Schwarz....

"America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Had my german wirehaired steelhead and trout pointer trained to avoid rattlesnakes when he was a year old. It was a pretty effective process. Had the training reinforced with a second session a couple years later, and even think he's due again...figure it can't hurt.

Anyway, found a dead rattlesnake, hit by a car, while quail hunting last year and couldn't get him to get close to the carcass...the training really ingrains the need to give rattlesnakes wide berth. However, I'm sure it is not foolproof and snake trained dogs get bit if all the circumstances are right (wrong).

So I usually follow his trail while fishing in snake territory. He moves a hell of a lot faster and quiter than I do. So far, so good, keeping my fingers crossed.

Aaron, thanks, that was a very informative link.
    Last edited by Randy B; 07-13-2012 at 01:09 PM. Reason: edit

Default snake avoidance

Do-gooders have convinced San Diego County authorities to impose a ban on
    snake avoidance classes for dogs. Apparently, they believe that the use of the
    electric collars are cruel and inhumane. Good grief!
    Best,
    Larry S

Hmmm, let inquisitive dogs get bit in the face instead...that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    This thread kinda got outta control.... Lets see if I give it a slightly better twist.

If I recall correctly, The Rattlers use of infra-red vision to locate a heat signature to target for food contributed, at least in theory, to the development of the heat seeking targeting system in air to air and surface to air guided missle systems.

And, taking it out a bit further, "Predator" probably observed this and adopted it for its own weapons system. Of course, "the Schwartz" covered himself in mud to avoid detection. Maybe that's what we all should keep in mind when in the back country....

Damn snakes, anyway....
    I never heard that theory. I worked on numerous IR systems at the worlds leading IR technology company in Santa Barbara for a few years, very interesting stuff.
    Steelhead gear = $6287, no of adults caught = 3, amortized cost = $2,095.67, beaching that 30" fish and letting it go = priceless

Default Hope BK doesn't mind this link, but...

Question Infra Red....

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    I never heard that theory. I worked on numerous IR systems at the worlds leading IR technology company in Santa Barbara for a few years, very interesting stuff.
    Not claiming first hand knowledge. Just something I recall reading from a long time ago and it fit well with the "Schwartz" stuff.

Author unknown