Thread: 00 to 3WT Fly Rods n Reels

Default 00 to 3WT Fly Rods n Reels

Anyone using ultralight fly gear? I want to try UL fly gear on the small creeks and streams in the Sierra, a 8" or 10" rainbow would be a big un in some of those waters.
    I decided on a St. Croix 2WT 4 piece 7'6" for a rod (it is no longer made but I found them on St. Croix's website on clearance). Still looking for a UL click and pawl reel.

Watch out for cheap "lightweight rods, in my previous 7 years of experience working for Kiene's I have rarely found a cheap ultra-light rod that was it's true line weight, you had to over-line almost every cheap rod. Make sure that you cast the rod before buying it. Check out some of the fiberglass 3wts, there were a few out there that were fun. I think that Diamondback used to make an affordable ($250-$300) true-lined fiberglass series. Temple Fork had a 2pc 7'6" 3wt if I remember correctly, but I've been out of the FF industry for a while now.

I love my slow action 7' 3wt for my small stream fishing!
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

The Redington Drift would be a good choice.

Since you've decided on a rod, that leaves the reel...I use a Hardy Featherweight with a DT3 and a DT2 and a Ross R-1 with an Airflo Delta Taper 2/3...the Featherweight (click & pawl) may still be available new but you'd have to find the Ross R-1 in a "secondary" market.

And, don't limit yourself to 10 inch fish...I've taken 20 inch rainbows on my long since sold Orvis 1 wt (worth owning briefly and I was happy to get rid of it) and the 8 1/2' 2 wt has taken legal sized fish on Hat Creek (that longer rod has enough power in the butt section to fight fish to the limit of the tippet strength and stretch).

Have fun,

Paul

Wow, I totally misread your post, sorry man.

Aaron knows his stuff, give that reel a try. All your reel is going to do is primarily hold and protect your line , you will rarely utilize the drag system, so there is no need for an expensive reel.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Default reel

I use a Lamson #1 light with my 2 wt. Very good quality click and pawl reel. Ross used to make a Colorado model in click That's a great reel too. You should be able to find either for around a hundred bucks or so. Ross RRs are great but getting expensive.

Default pic

Default Light Line is all I do

The largest rod I fished last year was a 4 wt bamboo, and was catching some wild rainbows as large as 20".

I would recommend Winston's WT rod and use as light as you are comfortable with for the creek you are fishing. Sage's 00 rod is also very nice to use, but is a faster rod than the Winston so at times a large line weight on the Winston may fee the same as the Sage. I believe the faster the rod, the less feel you have on the technical casts, lighter lines, and play of the fish.

For me, the only thing a Reel if for on these light rods is for holding line, and balancing the rod. Find the reel that balances the rod for comfort and casting, and as cheep as you can. Most of the big fish in the small creeks can't make a run up or down stream more than one pocket or pool anyway so having more than click and prawl is useless.

One of my most memorable fish was catching a wild 18" bow, in a plunge pocket. The cut of the stream below the pocket was only about 12" wide at that time in the fall, then opened to a pool that was only about 20' by 20'. I caught this one on the Sages 00. It is amazing that you can still find this in CA, if you are willing to hike into the wilderness. Unfortunately there is too little of it left.

Have a great time!

I frequently use a Orvis 7' 9" 2 weight on the Trinity River. I use an Orvis CFO which I love.

I've done a lot of creek and stream fishing in the Trinity Alps, and as BigSmallFry said, there is no where for trout to run. No need to get fancy with the reel.

Quote Originally Posted by atavuss View Post
    Anyone using ultralight fly gear? I want to try UL fly gear on the small creeks and streams in the Sierra, a 8" or 10" rainbow would be a big un in some of those waters.
    I decided on a St. Croix 2WT 4 piece 7'6" for a rod (it is no longer made but I found them on St. Croix's website on clearance). Still looking for a UL click and pawl reel.
    Lamson #1, I've got several of them. Or a #1.5. I might have a click & pawl that I'd
    part with if you are partial to Lamson (I went nuts about a year ago and bought up about 6 of these reels, kinda overkill for my needs

Another super light weight answer is to go to ebay and search for

Forbes Magnesium Reel

I've got one of those, really light, I fish it on a 3wt and a 4wt.

On the road, if it is the imperial, those are really excellent rods - great price and very nice rod so long as you stay in the lighter weights (5wt 9 foot is not so much, but I have a 4wt 7.5 foot that I love).