Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Info needed about the SF Eel River

Default SF Eel

My weekend was focused more on trees than the river. I got a couple of hours with the rod with no tugs, though I didn't cover much water, either. There were quite a few boats out and a number of guys with switch/spey rods.
    Last edited by KJE; 02-07-2012 at 06:19 PM.

Thank you everyone for your information. If not the SF Eel, where should I take my newbie friends?
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Has anyone fished or seen the SF Eel lately?

Adam Grace

Swung a couple runs near Myers Flat this morning. Clarity was marginal for flies, but I bet it will look great by Thursday.

I fished the SF Eel two weeks ago with two friends. First season fly fishing for steelhead for all of us so I'm not the best source of information. We stayed at Richardson Grove State Park (35$) a night check out is 11 AM. Nice place only two other people staying there, it's about ten miles south of Garberville. They have "Bear boxes" and say you're supposed to use them, however it's a small wooden cabinet 3' high by 3' wide and 10" deep, so not too practical from a storage or secure standpoint. We just left our stuff in coolers

Stopped by Browns sporting goods, nice people there but it's a little cluttered and minimal fly selection.

We fished from Benbow down stream to the main stem. Tons of holes too fish but the water was real clear so we mainly fished the close to where the south fork meets the main stem. We did check out the main stem but it's pretty big to fish with a single handed rod (we were nymphing).

None of us landed any fish, on the last day my buddy hooked up but it was very short. I spoke with a few different guides, seemed like most were bait fishing and had hooked/landed one or two fish.

I'd recommend getting a streamtime map of the Eel if you don't already have one.

uhhhhhh might want to keep an eye on the weather....http://tahoeweatherdiscussion.com/

Unhappy

Yep, the weather has ruined my steelheading trip. Bummer!!!

Adam Grace