Thread: T-11 vs. T-14

Default T-11 vs. T-14

Merry Christmas Everyone!

I just picked up the MOW T-11 kit just in time for some winter fishing (and hopefully some rain!). I was thinking about picking up 10' and 12' of T-14 to supplement the medium MOWs. What i'm curious about is the sink rate of say, 12' of T-11 vs. 10' of T-14. Is there going to be any significant difference? I would just like to hear some feedback from those in the know about the comparison of sink rates between T-11 and T-14 in different lengths.

Not sure on the sink-rate issue but I would think that (on a Skagit head) the T-14 would throw a bigger nasty winter fly out there better.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

We have the Rio MOW tips in 10' and 12.5' in T-8, T-11 and T-14 looped on both ends for $19.95

Lots of people make their own tips.

We sell Rio T-8, T-11, T-14 and T-17 for 99 cents a foot cut in any length.

We have it in 30 foot coils looped on each end ($39.95) and in 500 foot spools ($299.95) too.

We also sell Cortland LC13 leadcore by the foot (30 cents), in 30 foot coils ($14.95) and in a 500 foot spool ($89.95)

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

There is not going to be enough of a difference in how deep your fly is going to be. The main difference is how easy it turns over. Skagit heads of 550 and greater turn t-14 over better.

this website will answer most of your questions. http://flyfishingresearch.net/flydepthrules.html

Default The T's

Everything from T-8 and up sink at a rate of 8-9 inches a second. The grain differences will help on how big of junk you want to throw (for turning flies over).I pretty much stick with T-11 now days, it's more enjoyable to cast than its T-14 brother and it will turn over the nastiest winter flies as well.

Quote Originally Posted by fyshhead View Post
    Everything from T-8 and up sink at a rate of 8-9 inches a second. The grain differences will help on how big of junk you want to throw (for turning flies over).I pretty much stick with T-11 now days, it's more enjoyable to cast than its T-14 brother and it will turn over the nastiest winter flies as well.
    That sounds very reasonalble.......thanks fyshhead
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I think that the heavier material would stay down longer after tension is on the line.

I would stay with like material be it T11 or T14 and adjust with longer or shorter tips instead of trying to guess if one sinks faster than another. I think that you would have more control over the depth that way. Also you can adjust not only with the tips but with the weight of the fly.
    Fishing is always good, the catching may not be.

From Welche's Fly Shop information on T material sink rates:

Sink rates were revised for 2012. T-20 sinks more than 10-inches per second, T-17 sinks about 9-10 inches per second. T-14 sinks about 8-9 inches per second. T-11 sinks about 7-8 inches per second. T-8 sinks about 6-7 inches per second.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick J View Post
    From Welche's Fly Shop information on T material sink rates:

Sink rates were revised for 2012. T-20 sinks more than 10-inches per second, T-17 sinks about 9-10 inches per second. T-14 sinks about 8-9 inches per second. T-11 sinks about 7-8 inches per second. T-8 sinks about 6-7 inches per second.
    This.

Real difference is the angle of the dangle. Bouldery shite go with a shorter heavier tip to get behind the rox. More even bottom go with the lighter/longer tip to get your depth.

That said 10' of T-11 covers %85 of the situations with varying flies(especially if you go unweighted tubes and tiny-medium worm weights).

Got to love them worm weights! I have found some tungsten's that are sleeved with a plastic tube. They sink like a rock.