Thread: Berryessa

Default Berryessa

So with my new found still water skills (Thanks Scott) I decided to try my hand at some warmwater fishing at Lake Berryessa Saturday. I launched my tube at a nice free picnic site called Smittle Creek. They have done a nice job in recent years cleaning up the areas around the lake and this spot even has a buoy marked no gas motor zone. IT was calm and peaceful as I stared out.

Tried an intermediate line and a black wiggle tail for about an hour with no success although I dismissed a couple of possible bites as snags. Switched to a green and white clouser as I saw a shad jump on the surface and immediately got hits but no fish. Then finally success, not sure what I was expecting but it fought well and was beautiful.

With new found confidence I proceeded to not catch anything for about 2 hours. Got to a shallow area only to see small fish following my fly but not biting it. Changed to a light colored muddler minnow pattern and immediately got strikes. Fished it like a popper and caught dozens of small bass. Now when I say small I mean4-6 inches. But they were fun to fool and any fish on top is fun.

All in all a fun day but I need to figure out how to catch the big guys now.
    "If one really loves nature, one can find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh

That is one cute little bass, next year he might weight half a pound.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

In the spring the bass come up into the shallows to spawn in Lake Berryessa.

You can see them in the shallows where the tributaries enter the lake.

April/May I think?

They should be coming up shallow again now in the fall too.

I guess mid-winter and mid-summer the bass are deep.

Might be some Threadfin activity on top on calm days right about now.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Scott no way that would be half a pound he is hoping for 4 ounces next year.

Bill I saw a few shad jump out of the water when I was casting some bigger flies. Saw an injured on trying to swim past so they are in there. Tried a clouser pattern with no success after seeing it. Any other fly advice?

That bass is bite size for the bigguns Try a baby bass Clouser. Olive over white with some gold flashabou lateral line. Small, like a 6. Works for me sometimes, I've never fished Berryessa though.

Question Berryessa....

Haven't been there in a couple of years but am wondering if any of the closed resorts have re-opened Seems like a lot of places to fish are available but have access issues over there....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian

Not sure about resorts but when talking with the ranger he said that the area near the Putah Creek arm was almost ready to open. I have heard of people launching out of the Steele Park and Spanish Flat area but I don't have any first hand info. I did see that Capell Creek(free) ramp was open and a bass club was having a small tourney on the day I fished. The places that I fished were all spots you could easily take a tube or canoe. Free parking lots of picnic areas and a 1.5 mile trail between the parking areas.
    Hope this helps

That first picture really makes me want to go fishin.

Use to fly fish this lake alot. Found fishing the points better than the coves.
    I used a full sinking line with a Dalberg or Muddler type fly. Sometimes a sink tip with a Clouser / Meat Whistle.

Good Times.

Thanks nomadic,

I tried again on Thursday thinking the lake would begin turning over, but it was about 85 degrees so probably not anytime soon. I started at oak shores park and tried different techniques. The light colored muddler didn't do anything this time. I was able to catch a little bigger fish, but not much using a hopper as an indicator and a bead-head pheasant tail as a dropper. Caught maybe 20 but of no size.

This time I did see fish chasing bait on the surface and threw clousers and poppers and wollybuggers into it but to no avail.

I will keep trying and learning and maybe I will figure this lake out